Author Topic: My new (old) Barnes Velocipede Lathe  (Read 9035 times)

Offline Rubes

My new (old) Barnes Velocipede Lathe
« on: October 14, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »
Dont know if you guys are into antique machines much around here, but after picking up an old Stark lathe as a gift for a friend of mine
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=43241
I kinda wanted one for myself. Just so happens this popped up on the local CL. Its a Barnes 4 1/2 Velocipede (pedal powered) screw cutting lathe from the 1800's. missing the pedal parts and some other stuff,  but some of that is being reproduced now. It may actually end up with a motor on it, I don't quite know just yet. In any case it will eventually get a full rebuild, paint and plating. Will more than likely end up in my livingroom as I am running out of room for machines (this is my 5th lathe). Has the original height adjustable tool post, and an almost full set of change gears. A unique feature of this (at least to me) is the dual leadscrews so you dont need a tumbler reverse to change direction. http://www.lathes.co.uk/barnes/index.html
Made not too far from where I live too.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: My new (old) Barnes Velocipede Lathe
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 10:39:06 PM »
Antique machines are very cool. I like them. Are you going to turn the restoration into a project log?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Rubes

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 10:53:18 PM »
This is a way out future project unfortunately, since I already got umpteen million other things going. One of which is finishing my 1943 Logan 200 lathe that I started over a year ago :wack:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 10:55:26 PM »
This is a way out future project unfortunately, since I already got umpteen million other things going. One of which is finishing my 1943 Logan 200 lathe that I started over a year ago :wack:

Do we have a project log??
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Rubes

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 11:03:19 PM »
No I haven't started a log on that either. It takes me too long to finish a project so I didnt bother. Maybe I should though, and that might make me accountable to keep going on one project rather than just keep starting new ones.  :proj:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 01:11:39 PM »
Hey Rubes,

Sounds like me. I've got at least twice as many projects going as you.  :loco:

I discovered the other day I had taken my Grizzly lathe apart after looking for a thread here on MadModder. :doh:   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bernd

Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »
That's an old beauty, Rubes.  I hope you can keep us up to date on it.  Really a nice one!
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 04:10:31 PM »
Very nice bit of kit Rubes  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rob

Offline Trion

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 04:24:23 PM »
Looks like a nice machine! Fascinating with the really old stuff, keep the pictures coming :thumbup:

Offline Rubes

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 05:36:06 PM »
I discovered the other day I had taken my Grizzly lathe apart after looking for a thread here on MadModder.
hahaha...thats a good one Bernd.
thanx for the encouragement guys. I too think it is a nice one. unfortunately it does have some problems (nothing that cant be overcome though)
The left hand leg is broken where the flywheel mounts. I have an idea for that. The bosses on the rear where the seat slider rod goes are also broken (all the seat parts are missing too). And the tailstock quill lock is broken. Typical stuff for a 100+ year old machine I'm sure. Looks like the missing parts will cost around $1000, or more, in reproduction form (10x what I paid for the machine itself). Like someone above said, I do have plenty of other lathes, so a semi tru restoration would be very cool.