Author Topic: Stuart 10V Build Log  (Read 85963 times)

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
Re: Stuart 10V Build Log
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2010, 09:21:14 AM »
Hi Chris, kwackers is absolutely right, sets of reamers are not the way.  For your one off job, I'd drill close to size, leaving say a sixteenth, and take a piece of silver steel or drill rod, turn it to five thirty seconds and polish it nice, and make a "D" bit type reamer, mill it half way through after turning a good radius on the end, stone the flat side, making sure you leave a few thousandths for stoning, don't go past half thickness, and harden the end.  I have also taken a sharp drill bit, stoned the cutting lips to a radius, trying to be dead equal on both, and found the closest drill to size possible, drill it, and use the stoned on size drill as a reamer.  It will follow the hole, and the radiuses on the cutting edges will act as a reamer, rather tight, but a smooth finish will result.  Run it in and out several times, and test that the rod clears it.  By the way, the cylinder ports look good and you definitely have the head well made, and well drilled for bolts.  you're engine is moving forward quite nicely.  Can't wait to see it run.  It looks like the iron you've got is top notch, and works well, always a blessing with castings.  Question for you, is that rotary table set up digital by yourself?  I'm looking at doing the same thing, but interupted by the flood.  I've got a cam to mill for my radial engine, and I don't like the dials and vernier on my taiwanese rotary table.  On subject, I take it you cleaned up the ports on the valve face and have them nice and straight as to the edges which will control your "cutoff" and effect your valve timing.  It looks like paint and polishing the engine up will be the most time consuming part, you're making very good progress, and your parts are looking very good. ttfn, :poke: jack

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2010, 03:54:17 PM »
Madjack:  thanks for the reply. Yes, the rotary table is digital and is the best thing I have made. It is a Vertex 4" Rotary table and I made a post on it here:  

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2242.0

The electronics is all down to Kwackers - a very very impressive microcontroller code which he has made freely available here, including circuit diagrams etc.:

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showthread.php/150-CNC-Rotary-table-lathe-head-indexing

It works a treat - truely amazing! Great for clock wheels as well. It`ll do any division from 0-999, continuous motion, set programs....  :smart: :ddb:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:09:30 PM by craynerd »

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2010, 10:37:13 AM »
Hi Chris, that is a very impressive video, and I will be looking at Kwacker's log to see how he set it up.  I've been sort of following your own build log on it, but didn't get in the very beginning, and was left a bit bemused by it, however, I've been messing around with stepper motors, controls, and your build had long convinced me to do the same with my eight inch table.  I appreciate the link to Kwacker's build, and will follow it and get the rest of the electronics you show, but I didn't get the detail on.  I never cease to be amazed at the variety of skills which such forums get assembled and interacting.  Thanks very much for the info. :bow: jack

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2010, 11:09:54 AM »
I never cease to be amazed at the variety of skills which such forums get assembled and interacting. 

MadJack - I totally agree with that! If it wasn`t for that project and wanting to know more about how the PIC code was written, I then went to buy a development board and play around with PICs. I`m not expert, but I can now programme a PIC and make it do some nice things like my X-axis power feed!

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

The stuart is on hold for a few days until I get down to the Midlands Engineering show where I can purchase some taps, dies and reamers that I need.

All the best,
Chris

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2010, 01:38:31 PM »
Wow that is great I have the same RT and have never fitted the plates as they looked confusing  :doh:
This may be a future project for me  :thumbup:
Jason

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2010, 08:04:10 PM »
I managed to finish the more critical bottom cylinder cover today. As I mentiond in my last update, I needed a 5/32" reamer, I could have waited until the midlands show but a local friend I have recently made had one on hand to lend me so I could continue! No much to say (for a change) and had no camera with me, only my phone camera!

Turned down the central cylinder bore register, drilled and reamed right through

Turned it over and my nice chuck could hold the register (as guided in the original 10V book, but I think in the current ME articles he makes a jig or arbour for this bit) I then drillled this almost all the way through and tapped it 5/16(?) x 26tpi.

Parted off and it was finished... it took a bit of thinking this part but it worked out just fine

Bottom cylinder cover mounted on standard

...everything together so far:

Feels like it is coming along nicely. I`m just waiting for my first disaster!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2010, 04:31:58 AM »
That's looking very nice, Chris!  :clap:

DON'T think disaster. There will be no disaster. Trust me......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2010, 07:05:27 AM »
Nice work Chris, if you keep doing what you're doing there won't be any disasters.  :thumbup:

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2010, 11:28:26 AM »
You're really moving along on the build, Chris, it's looking more like an engine every day, and things are falling your way.  The hardest part for me, was learning to deal with one single part at a time, and focus all my attention on it, once I got that down, every engine has been "easy", from lawnmowers to military aircraft, they all are individual pieces.  I also want to say your build of your rotary table is the prime motivator for my upcoming build of the same for mine.  I wish I had stepped in when I was still close to the electronics I used to work and once taught while in the Marines, instead of waiting until I was twelve and more years retired, and with no electronics test equipment, needing to get new tools for that side.  Again, great engine, kind of makes me wish I was over there, you guys sound so much closer to each other, but I used to live in cities, back when I was young, and living out in the country may have it's shortfalls, but it has advantages as well.  I do have one friend in town, four miles from here, and we borrow tools, ideas and the like back and forth, so its not isolation.  Great job, and looking to see it turn. :nrocks: jack

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2010, 09:17:15 AM »
Yes, I`ve progressed more since meeting and visiting MEs of which I have met a few now of this forum. I think what ALL of them don`t realise. Is actually, it is when they have been doing the sort of "turning basics" or "milling basics", when they are just going with the flow and taking their actions for granted, that I have learnt most!

I have another question about this build if someone could help me out. The bearings for the crank shaft are supplied as an alloy casting - half round with a flat at the top. I believe they are supplied as a single piece although I think it is also true that Stuart can supply these as two separate pieces rather than one length. I have unfortunately been handed the latter, or at least who ever started this before me cut it in two. I`m now totally confused. As I guessed before even reading the 10V book, the single piece can simply be drilled and reamed to size and then parted in two to make two pieces of identical bore position. Being supplied with two separate pieces, how can I ensure that the bore for the crank shaft axle is located in the same position for each?

Chris
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:19:19 AM by craynerd »

Offline kwackers

« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2010, 10:20:53 AM »
A jig...

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2010, 10:34:21 AM »
Yea, thought of that but can`t think of how to form it?

The only other thought was to do the mounting holes first, bolt the bearings into position onto the soleplate and then mount the soleplate vertical with the bearings parallel to the drill and drill and ream right through the two. My only concern is that the large gap between the two bearings would mean my drill could wander.... still a decent idea, do you think?
Chris

Offline kwackers

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2010, 11:01:05 AM »
Sounds complicated. Why not just do them one at a time?

You could use the soleplate as a jig and fit each one in turn, drilling and reaming them. Or you could just drill them, fit them both in their final positions and ream them to size. (The reamer will follow the holes you've already drilled).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 11:03:35 AM by kwackers »

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2010, 11:38:10 AM »

The only other thought was to do the mounting holes first, bolt the bearings into position onto the soleplate and then mount the soleplate vertical with the bearings parallel to the drill and drill and ream right through the two. My only concern is that the large gap between the two bearings would mean my drill could wander.... still a decent idea, do you think?
Chris

Bang on there Chris  :thumbup:  ,,,then after boring they can be removed from the casting ( number them ) and mounted on a mandrel using the bore to turn the O/D  

Rob
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 11:44:30 AM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2010, 06:13:46 AM »
Chris,

I would definitely go with your method, that's going to ensure they're in line and it's no extra work  :thumbup:

Nick

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2010, 09:47:10 AM »
Hi Chris,  The method you suggest, with each bearing done separately in the same side is a good one if you're sure the two sides are indeed parallel, and your angle plate is square.  I think I would go with a jig, a simple enough one if you are not sure of the two sides being right on in place, just a block with the proper sized hole drilled, then the block milled off to give you the half hole you need, ensuring of course the block is square, and either drill mounting holes in both the bearings and the block, or a good solid clamp set up, and flycutting the top face of the bearing half, then center drilling, step drilling, and finally reaming.  I suggest this, as it puts the bearing halves right together, and does not leave the unsupported width for the drill.  I use a bushing on the shaft of the reamer when I'm reaming the cover bushing for the end of a Harley crankshaft, the bushing fits the reamer shaft, and into the needle bearing in the engine case, aligning the two.  I would do the same if the reamer cutting edges don't cross the unsupported area, to ensure the reamer is parallel to the intended bore.  Of course I have a crank case empty, in hand, to supply the inner needle bearing and to bolt the cover to.  I've got about three inches between the needle bearing and the bushing, where the cam goes, so the shaft of the reamer definitely needs support to remain parallel.  You're moving right along now, should be running soon :poke: enjoying watching the build.  mad jack

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2010, 04:37:33 AM »
I`ve been making some steady progress on this engine and finally I feel I`m getting somewhere. I finished the bearings but it was hard work. My drill wondered on the first hole which made it very tough to re-centre. I managed it by bolting a small strip of steel on the underside of the flat face which I used as the datum as it was this surface giving the relative position to the bore. I bolted both next to each other on this plate and then trapped in my vice. I then held it in the vice and pushed the drill through slowly from the other end. This worked really well and centered the hole. I finally reamed to size:

I then went onto the crank:

I did the webs first. I cut the 2" stock in half and soft soldered the two pieces together drilling the holes and filing the radius (which worked well - I`m getting better at filing!)

Polished:

And attached the assembly together ready for cutting the middle section out during my next session.

Offline kwackers

« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2010, 04:50:36 AM »
Just a thought.

Why didn't you ream the two bearings in place (i.e. bolted to the soleplate)? It's generally much better to do this since if there is any tiny amount of misalignment you'll still end up with the bore inline.
I'd also suggest reaming under power rather than with a tap wrench.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2010, 05:33:49 AM »
Good point, it would have ensured alignment but it seems to have worked by the look of the pictures. The reamer he is using is a hand reamer though.

Nick

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »
Kwackers - I know we discussed that and it was my plan BUT when I was drilling, I was concerned that those little 7BA bolts were under too much stress and I wasn`t happy with it. Don`t get me wrong, they bolt up good and tight but it just didn`t feel right. The method I used did work ok, thanks Nick and I`m totally lost as to using a reamer!! I believed these were hand reamers as they have the little square at the top and hence I used a wrench.... can you use them under power?

By the way - I know we also discussed just using D-reamers to do this job but I went to the midlands show a few weeks back and for £2.50 a pop - it was quicker and easier to get a reamer!

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2010, 09:37:50 AM »
EDIT: just to add, the only thing I would say is that when I fitted the crank between the bearings it is a super tight fit and I`m going to have to turn a bit of the end of the bearings. Everything is to size, the bearings are not too long and the crank webs are not too wide so following the plans, I`m not sure why this has happened. I`ve about .5mm gap between the end of each bearing and the crank web.

Chris

Offline kwackers

« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2010, 09:55:09 AM »
I always ream under power, I've never had particularly good results with hand reaming. I just put the machine on slow and 'run it through'.

The type of reamer doesn't matter that much, the main difference between hand and machine reamers is just the taper at the start. More often than not you've just drilled the hole and swapping the drill for the reamer is the 'natural' way to do it. (Usual disclaimer of incompetence/ignorance applies here).

As for reaming in situ. There really shouldn't be much 'effort' required to ream the holes, if there is you've probably drilled them too much undersize.
Regards the 7ba bolts, lets hope they're not as flaky as you think! Having the bearings a good fit in the soleplate is what makes the bearings 'strong' the bolts are just there to stop them lifting. If you think about it when the engine is running, it'll be nodding along at a decent RPM, the crankshaft is unbalanced and there's a fair bit of hammering from the piston, compared to that the reamer is just tickling it with a feather....

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2010, 08:40:43 AM »
Glad you said that as I have used a reamer under power, as you suggested, progressing from drill to the final ream. I just thought the hole was a bit big for reaming under power when I didn`t know if it should be! Cheers for the advice.
Chris

Offline scrapman

« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2010, 06:21:04 PM »
Hi Chris, i have been following your build of the 10v as i have just started to build one myself so i will be watching these posts with interest  :thumbup:, Ray

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2010, 04:44:38 PM »
Hi Ray, thanks for looking. Yes, I`ve just had a few weeks break on this build as I was making a few puzzles as shown in one of the other project logs. However, coincidentally, I started work on this again tonight so will be posting more pics soon!

Chris