Author Topic: Stuart 10V Build Log  (Read 85508 times)

Offline kwackers

Re: Stuart 10V Build Log
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2010, 04:28:16 AM »
Whilst a tiny hole is ideal (allowing a slow but steady amount of oil to dribble through), for 'spot' oiling whilst the engine is running you can just consider them as a funnel which makes it easier to get oil into the hole rather than everywhere.
If you do this the size of the hole isn't too important - but no reason to make it bigger than the smallest drill you've got....

Offline scrapman

« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2010, 07:00:41 AM »
Looking good chris  :thumbup: i like the cream flywheel,

Ray.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2010, 08:42:49 AM »
 :lol: all my engines have red flywheels too Chris, not sure why but the cream looks great, might have to pinch that idea too!

Well done, that is another project to be proud of  :thumbup:

Oh, the oiler - that's why I was going to reply. On the 'poppin' flame licker there is a design of oiler which is basically a cup as you say but as somebody else mentioned you can have a sort of needle going into the cup. Well this one is tapered on one end then bent around to give a bit of spring and fit inside the cup so it can be adjusted up or down - not a v good explanation sorry so will attach a sketch.

Nick

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2010, 10:37:36 AM »
Nick, thanks for the reply. Is your description of an oiler to be used as a constant oil flow to adjust the flow rate by moving the taper pin up and down or is just a way of letting oil in and then pushing it down to close it off? Hope that makes sense? What sort of dia would you expect for the center hole?

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #129 on: December 24, 2010, 02:15:19 PM »
Hi Chris, I think it's supposed to be adjustable flow but the cup is very small. I've sent you an e-mail, the hole for the one I saw is 0.020 which is about 0.5mm.

Cheers

Nick

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #130 on: December 25, 2010, 09:44:41 AM »
Hi Nick, finally got a good look through your whole log, and you've done a fine job getting a good runner there.  I thought the brass cap was intentional, if you hadn't have told us, you could have stuck with a "deliberate" change.  It was a fine fix for a problem though, and seems to have worked well for you.  The engine looks great too, as well as sounding good, now that paint's on it.  I like to think of the cup oilers as a good target for the oil can, with periodic application, but I saw some good ideas on your post, like the bent wire with a point, that looks like it should be fairly easy to make, and something easy to adjust for constant oiling.  When I think of constant, I think of the needle screws for a Harley oil pump, with a nice thread and a concentric taper but it is a bit large as a number eight screw I believe.  I did like the idea of a cup with a needle you lift when you want oil, that sounds like it would be easy to turn, and at the same time, not a one shot kind of thing.  Once you've got oil in the bearings, and the engine is running, but with little or no load, you shouldn't need much in the way of oil though, particularly with steel shafts in bronze bushings.  A very nice running engine, that also sounds very good, too.  :nrocks: mad jack