Author Topic: Adapting Car Brakes  (Read 4609 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Adapting Car Brakes
« on: September 24, 2010, 04:55:12 AM »
I've not posted anything for a while so thought I might put this up for your amusement.

I made some spigot spacers for my Vectra disks which are bigger diameter than the standard Astra ones at 288mm. They also have a larger centre hole than the standard Astra disks. Hence the spacers.

So I chopped a length of 70mm dia from a larger bar and stuck it in the lathe.

Cleaned it up and drilled a hole on the centre with the biggest drill bit I have.

Bored the centre hole out to match the Astra hub. (this takes a while and would be better to start with a pipe, but gotta use what's at hand. Well that's what machines are for ....!)

Then parted off several pieces. The brake disk is 7mm thick so I made the spacers 6mm to make sure they didn't foul the wheel fitting.

Chamfered all the inner and outer edges to clean them up.

And here we are, well if you're gonna make a pair may as well make some more at the same time :Banane44:

Fits the disk nicely

And here we are fitted to the hub ... nice snug fit ....

Next job is to drill the disks to four stud ...

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:02:39 AM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Adapting Car Brakes
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 04:56:50 AM »
Now to sort the bigger disks out.

Set-up the milling machine so that I could make four new holes at 100mm PCD and at 90deg to each other. I don't really like disturbing the mill as it takes ages to line it up true afterwards. But I couldn't do this vertically so horizontal she had to go!

I'm using the drill bit just to line things up on the old disk. The holes were cut using a milling cutter as one hole is elongated. Try that with a drill bit and you'd be in trouble !! Once you have one hole lined up then it's just a matter changing disks and rotating the dividing head 90deg each time.

Here I'm counter sinking the little 6mm disk retainer screw hole.

All fits nicely, done both sides so that's that job done ..

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:17:28 AM »
The car stuff is more than welcome here. I love to see what people are doing with their cages.

How's the fit? Will you have to use a different caliper or make a spacer for your current setup?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:34:34 AM »
What Eric said :ddb: I haven't seen anyone tip a mill head for a long time. That's what their for. When I was going to school, the instructors would go around and tip the heads. That got you familiar with tramming them in.

Nice Job Daren!!!
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
I haven't seen anyone tip a mill head for a long time. That's what their for.

Ahem!

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2726.msg31100#msg31100

Ok, I grant you, that is quite a long time ago now....  :doh:  :poke:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 12:22:18 PM »
That centre pic...... It was beginning to look like an old Swiss cheese!  :lol:

Nicely done Darren!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 12:29:09 PM »
Ade,

With those brakes as rusty as they are, the first time you use the brakes I can see the car lifting it's tail end into the air as the front wheels screech it to a halt.  :lol:   :lol:

Kinda' like using the front brakes on a bicycle. :coffee: Ask me how I know? Nah, never mind.  :lol:

BTW, like Eric said, nice to see some auto work being done. I'm sort of the machining guy to go to in our community car club. So seeing the way your fixing things helps a lot. Thanks for taking the time out of a busy schedule you have between work and sleep.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds