Author Topic: Tools always on the mill...... and DRO stuff  (Read 8069 times)

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
Tools always on the mill...... and DRO stuff
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:51:38 PM »
I was sitting admiring my efforts the other night, had just finished cleaning down the machinery and was enjoying a beer.... (does it get any better than that?)...

I looked at the mill head and it struck me that I was looking at several tools that I dont see often (if at all) in other postings.... I wondered why, these things are all second nature to me. Then it occurred to me that some may not know about them.... so Im putting finger to keyboard...... If you do know, then ignore me if you dont, then enjoy...

First a pic....

The light is a magnetic LED and these is actually 2 of them one each side of the head. These are extremely usefull and find themselves attached to very strange parts of the machine from time ot time..... nothing startling here though....

The next is a telescopic magnet, this thing is brilliant for when you drop that steel part somewhere... sadly doesnt work so great on ali or brass stuff.... bugger.... I recentlky dropped the shaft I used to hold the felible drive parts down into my 4 jaw mounted on the RT... I couldnt reach it so this saved the day. Would have been really annoyed to have to unbolt it to retrieve the shaft..... also for picking small stuff up off the floor...hows YOUR back? Mines been better....

And the Sticky Pin, I posted these on HMEM last night and was surprised at the response... Im assuming membership here is similar and Ill let you know what this amazing thing does......

Ill take pics if needed....

A small piece of welding rod or similar is stuck in a dob of plasticene, you could use Bluetack I guess... and attached to the cutter. Spinning slowly touch it until it spins perfectly true, this is easily done and you can now touch this into your centre punch mark and it accurately represents the centre of your cutter or drill bit. No more guesswork! Great stuff... but theres more...

I attatch it to the side of the collet nut and after roughly centering the cutter over the job lower it down until the pin tip touchs one edge (say the right hand side). Rotate the quill 180 degrees and see what the gap is to the other edge, move the table until this gap is approx halved (your eyes are very accurate with this measurement) and move the pin until it touches this edge (the left hand side), rotate the quil another 180 deg and if the pin now touches the right hand ege you have a very close centre. if not do it again. For centre of round parts now do it looking from the side....dont forget to lock your gibbs....

This works very well if you do not have a DRO and an edge finder, and even if you do its faster than setting up the edge finder/wiggler and then setting up your cutter again...

Some jobs need better accuracy... thats the role of the DRO and edge finder...

Rob t

I forgot to add the DRO stuff..... I have a z axis DRo and I have decided to add the others as well. Im using indivual units as I was worried that if one part failed I will have wasted $700 for a 3 axis unit. The z axis is a combined measure read out unit pic below and teh x and y are remote readouts, sadly these have smaller led numerals that the combined units, thats the compromise I had to make..... Ill take pics when these have arrived and are mounted.....

Incidentally, if you want to drill a set of holes on a PCD this calculator makes a RT redundant... brilliant little thing... have a play at changing the hole numbers etc....

http://www.doov.com/cgi-bin/bolthole.cgi?d=6&num=8&xoffset=0&yoffset=0&angleoffset=0&bolthole=Calculate

Later..RT
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:00:50 PM by Artie »
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Offline crabsign69

Re: Tools always on the mill...... and DRO stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 02:46:01 PM »
nice  calculator i would be very interested if there was one i could download to my shop laptop .
do u know of any . i book marked this one for future. i realy like it

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 03:22:14 PM »
I would love to see a video of the Sticky Pin in action

nice  calculator i would be very interested if there was one i could download to my shop laptop .
do u know of any . i book marked this one for future. i realy like it

I found a few but no free ones
http://www.machinist-calculator.com/ has a demo
http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html also has a demo
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:24:07 PM by j45on »
Jason

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:56:18 PM »
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline fatal-exception

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 04:01:22 PM »
Someone else here posted another way to use the sticky pin. drop the tip of the pin into your center punch mark, then move the table till there's no wobble in the pin. I like the sticky pin idea because you can just stick it onto the end of your endmill and locate center (with reasonable accuracy). :ddb:

GWizard is pretty good, especially if you have no idea about the feeds and speeds for a certain material. Bob is always updating it also. The only thing I don't like is that it needs an internet connection. Hope he cans that idea in the future...  :bang:

Paul

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 04:22:23 PM »
Here's a free (not freely redistributable, mind) PCD calculator: http://iwr.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/lathe/pcd.html

Seems to work OK (the "start program now" link on the end of the setup didn't work for me, but it fired up OK from the icon)
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 03:21:01 AM »
Mkoltz (Marv) on this forum has many useful programs on his web site that are download/installable:

http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz/

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 11:56:30 AM »
In this case, the program you're looking for is named BOLTCIRC.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 02:47:15 PM »
thanks guys . i made that sticky pin thingy and i like it it works pretty good  :mmr:
marv  u got some good stuff there ive save some of those for checking out latter when i have more time thank u
i downloaded the bolt circle  too thanks a bunch :headbang:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:51:06 PM by crabsign69 »

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 04:33:17 PM »
Rob,

I have the self same light as yours.

The same magnet on a stick.

The same sticky pin.

I have used a sticky pin for all my milling life, but no one seems to have heard of them. Or shown much interest......

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1116.0

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 05:09:43 PM »
Dave, its probably a case of great minds thinking alike...... or more likely ..birds of a feather....... :doh:

Seriously, it hadnt occurred to me that I hadnt seen others using one in the posts I have read. As I said, its second nature to me, and most likely yourself as well. The thing that I like about it is its simplicity, the accuracy is really up to the operator. I sometimes make a pin with a sharp point and get my eyes in really close when I want maximum accuracy.

Speaking of which, those damn DROs havent arrived yet, bought from Hare and Forbes here in Aus...probably waiting for a delivery from China..... mmmmm...

I also downloaded the trial version of te bolt hole calculator that j45on posted up http://www.machinist-calculator.com its not bad and at $35 for a lifetime license, pretty good value as it does a lot of other useful things as well... I may well fork out folding stuff for this one when the trial expires. It is worthwhile to have a pc based calculator rather than a web based one.

Rob T
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.