Author Topic: centre a boring bar ?  (Read 10201 times)

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
centre a boring bar ?
« on: August 26, 2010, 02:51:45 PM »
I have just bought a small set of carbide insert tools and I'm a bit confused about the boring bar

I presume the rake angle is normal but how do I centre it ?
Jason

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: centre a boring bar ?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 02:53:57 PM »
The corner which will contact the work piece should contact on the exact centre line; i.e. much of the bar will be above the centre line.

I'm glad you posted that photo, as I'm planning to buy some of those myself this week, ready for some boring next week :)
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline j45on

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 03:13:33 PM »
Cheers AdeV  :thumbup:
It seems a bit of a silly question in hindsight  ::)
Jason

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 04:34:32 PM »
You dont need to centre it..........

If the hole you drillled is smaller than the overall dia of the boring bar you may find that the bottom of the bb fouls at the entrance of the hole..in that case you raise the bb above the centre line...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline winklmj

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »
Center it just like any other lathe bit. Use a small scale (I use a feeler gauge) trapped between the pointy end of the bit and a piece of round stock chucked in the lathe.
Mike

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 02:39:09 AM »
You will need it centred if you are machining flat bottomed holes, if not you risk chipping the tip. As you have it in a quick change holder set it to ctr once and forget about it.

Jason

Offline j45on

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 03:37:15 PM »
 :beer: cheers for the tips  guys ?
Jason

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 12:13:05 PM »
(j45)Jason,

The ideal is to have the boring bar located on dead center (in the axis, usually the horizontal one, of the cross-slide).  If you are off-center in any way, you (almost always -- as the exception proves the rule) want to be (slightly) above center.  A few thou is typically OK, but you will be moving the sine of your error rather than the full dial distance as you adjust your boring bar's position.

A thin piece of (relatively) hard and straight material (such as a 6 inch scale or piece of moderately thick shim stock) trapped between the cutter and an accurately centered round part will indicate the mismatch angle.  Be careful doing this with carbide toolbits as it is easy to break off a corner.

My solution (which needs to be rebuilt as my grandsons were "helping" me around the shop a month ago) is to mount an indicator support above the headstock of my lathe.  The horizontal arm (indicated to my gage bar within a "tenth") allows me to do all sorts of things.  I will try to post pictures when I do the rebuild, but the basis is that I have a jack-screw collar that elevates my horizontal arm (then locked in place with a clamp-screw) such that a dedicated travel indicator is zero dead on the horizontal centerline of the spindle (I use a large flat "point" on that indicator).  Setting tools to dead center is now trivial as I can drop the indicator on it.  Similarly, I can check centering of work with great ease -- the indicator will read the radius of the part.  This is exceptionally useful when mounting parts in a 4-jaw chuck.

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 09:27:08 PM »
A lot depends upon what material you are cutting as some material like positive rake (steels), some negative (cast iron) and some nil rake (brass). This chart may help....

South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 02:45:24 AM »
You can't adjust the angle on the tipped boring bars easily as they have a flat on them, even trying to mount them in a Vee holder does not really work as the top is flat as well. Easier to get a different tip to suit teh metal being cut

But notice they all have the cutting edge on centre.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 04:18:00 AM »
You dont need to centre it..........

So I learnt something new..... :doh:

Thanks for the info guys..... :bow:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors