Author Topic: Fitting a DRO to a Vertical Mill  (Read 4333 times)

Offline redpiperbob

Fitting a DRO to a Vertical Mill
« on: August 23, 2010, 02:53:22 AM »
Hi All
has anybody fitted a DRO system from Allendale (machine DRO) to a RF 25 type vertical mill. I have just ordered a 3 axis one and I am looking for any help on the installation.
Thanks in advance Bob
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:00:36 AM by redpiperbob »

Offline Jonny

Re: Fitting a DRO to a Vertical Mill
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 10:34:12 AM »
Bit late just noticed.
I have the Clarke equivalent not used any more, well for 6 years.
I slapped the scales on ok if keeping coolant off and know this is not what you mean.

Made a new quill clamp doubling up with coolant inlet and outlet plus also fixing for vertical scale.
Will have to machine angles to fit to the Y axis.
Easier to mount the scale on the rear if you need the front slot but lose Y travel.

I have fitted the Allendale to a Super Lux and had to do similar to above.
Modded quill clamp with coolant inlet and outlet plus extended aluminium bar throwing well out to the left side, still quite rigid. Vertical readout is upright at the back. Can just make it out on left. http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728921/1252422/392394060.jpg
Seen many mount off the front cover and use the depth stop to actually move the readout with all its play- pointless.

Y axis virtually same as above, readout is mounted off the angled cast base with suitably machined angles to suit.

X axis i needed the front T slot for the various stops and access to the gib strip bed locks, plus rotary table index plates overhang a good 2", so had to mount on the rear, easy.

Dead simple if using GS300 scales with the B type protective cover. Mount cover, place in scale unit holes already drilled and tapped, then dril, tap and pack out the readout. Mount top cover done.
These scales are Sino with plugs to suit the DRO they sell.

Was going to order a 2 axis for the bigger lathe, noticed last week they now have the magnetic type which might be usefull for cross slide but adding around extra £90 each axis.