Author Topic: I've not bin Idle  (Read 6076 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
I've not bin Idle
« on: August 02, 2010, 04:11:19 AM »
The boiler build for my Loco has been one of those stop start jobs where you can't get on with the next stage because your waiting for something, for those interested If all goes to plan I'll be doing the last bit of silver soldering on the boiler this week.

In the mean time like a good snooker (pool) player I've been thinking ahead for my next project and getting the tools around me for the job.

So this is what I've been up to

Keats Angle Plate:- I've had one of these on back order for over four months, so decided to make my own using material I had to available.

This is how I set it up to cut the vee with an end mill.

Its important that the Vee is square with the base of the angle plate, so I chucked up a length of bar and skimmed up the diameter, and clamped the angle plate to it then in slow speed and with light cuts skimmed the base of square.

Her it is done not the best looker in the box but it will do the job well.

Next job up finish off the face plate I started a few months ago.

Her it is with the Keats.

Next up some tool holders for 1/4 and 5/16 square tools, these will give me a more robust set up and allow me to get in close when using a running centre.

Next

A back stop for my lathe, I turned up a M3 taper threaded for a draw bar with a M8 thread in the front so that I could use a different stop made to suite the job in hand.

Her's the stop in the spindle nose.

And hers a selection of stops I've made for it.

And this is it in use, to face off some flywheels to all the same thickness

And last but not least a jig plate.

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: I've not bin Idle
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 04:51:33 AM »
I'd been thinking...... "Stew's gone a little quiet alately".  :scratch:

But, apparently, not that quiet!  ::)

That looks a nice collection of handy kit, Stew!  :clap:

Looking forward to the boiler completion, and following the project.....  :thumbup:

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:59:08 PM »
Hey, your a tenth off on that angle. :wack: I thought this was precise work you were doing.  :lol:

Nice one Stew. Another project for a rainy day for me.

Boy when I get to all these projects some of you will need to build boats.............speaking of which I need to get working on. Right Stew? Or was it Don that was  :poke: me about my rescue boat?  :scratch:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline shoey51

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 03:06:32 AM »
great to see you havent gone to sleep there mate not like someone i could mention  :doh:

great work there Stew :thumbup:

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 08:44:01 AM »
It's good to see you've not been idle, we all know what the devil does with idle hands :bugeye:  nice bit of tooling you've put together there, it looks right useful, and always gives you a breathing space, when nothing else is coming together at the moment.  I really need a stop for my lathe, yours looks so useful as you skim off some of a flywheel.  I'm looking forward to some silver soldering on a boiler coming up though. :headbang: mad jack

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 02:44:54 PM »
Thanks Guys

I enjoy making tooling though as you may have noticed I'm not one for giving things a shine I'd rather get the important features correct so that they make  a first class job of what are intended for. My first year as an apprentice was spent making a kit of tools, we had to polish them up to a high standard, a lot of the lads took them home and kept them oiled and never used them, I was just the opposite a tool is their to be used, and all mine got used and are still used and they are showing the scars of that use, but that how I like em.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave: