Author Topic: Intro  (Read 5417 times)

Offline eidbi

• Ireland - Co. Kildare
Intro
« on: July 31, 2010, 05:49:42 PM »
Hi All,
I would like to introduce myself as I have been lurking here for a while. I am mid sixties (age not year) IT guy. I have no training in metalwork apart from a 3 month evening class once a week in jewellery making many years ago. So I have some experience in silver soldering from that time. For about 5 years I made silver jewellery for a hobby. I seem to collect hobbies!

I bought a Sherline lathe about 2 years ago and added a CNC ready mill about a year later and added the steppers, controller and computer myself. I use D2nc for drawing simple shapes/parts and I wrote a wizard to create circuit board adapters for SMD chips to Veroboard which I then "engrave" on the mill. For more complicated things I use TurboCad and use D2nc to produce the Gcode for Mach.

I have been researching Bogstandard's Puddleduck engine which I hope to make over the winter using the CNC on the mill as much as possible. So far I have only been making more tools and accessories for the lathe and mill.

Regards,
Hamilton

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Intro
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 07:05:23 PM »
Hi Hamilton

Welcome to MadModder. I think that you will fit right in here as there are a lot of members here that seem to collect hobbies, myself included. With your lathe and mill you will have a good start to making small engines and others here will be able to answer any questions that you might have. When you have a chance perhaps you could post a couple of pictures of some of the tooling that you have made for your lathe and mill.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:56:27 AM »
Heya Hamilton!  :wave:

Sounds like you have a great start on tooling! Bog's has a good book on his engine. Definitely worth doing in my opinion. You will learn a lot. Jewelry making is pretty neat. I have some ideas that one day I will start to do. IT guy eh? Me too. Whatcha do? I am a VMware guy. I manage the virtual infrastructure for an Ivy League college.

Show us what you have! Pictures are nice!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 03:35:30 AM »
Hi there...   :worthless:  would like to see some pics of your jewellry and machines if you find time!

Look forward to your future posts.

Chris

Offline eidbi

• Ireland - Co. Kildare
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 05:39:56 AM »
Hi All,
Many thanks for the welcome. I will try to get some photos of the jewellery and some of the accessories later today.

Regards,
Hamilton

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 05:42:39 AM »
Hi and Welcome Hamilton

Looking forward to you CNC build of Bog's engine  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline GordTopps

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 05:44:35 AM »
Welcome Hamilton

Regards
Gordy
There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline eidbi

• Ireland - Co. Kildare
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 06:25:23 AM »
Hi All,
Thanks Rob and Gordy.

I saw somewhere that there is a limit of 4 pics to a posting on this forum. Is it acceptable here to make multiple postings just to get more than 4 pics up.
Or should I use something like mediafire or my own web page with links to handle the photos?

I have a web page with some photos (no jewellery yet) the link is www.microflex.ie and there is a password on it.

The user ID is user and the password is userpass just to keep webcrawlers out.
Regards,
Hamilton

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 10:31:45 AM »
Hi Hamilton,
Itīs quite acceptable to make multiple posts to overcome the 4-picture limit, but even better to make links for pictures, to sites that are always up and not restricted (no Facebook links for example, please - surprisingly, not everyone is a member, and the links wonīt work for non-members). It would also be nice to use image formats like 800x600, or thereabouts. 10 Mb image files take a lot of time with dial up connection. Some people have no way to get high speed access.
Anyway, whatever you prefer, the main thing is, post MANY pictures    :poke:
 :wave:
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 11:28:35 AM »
I changed the maximum of attachments to 10 per post. Post as many pictures as you want. As said, linking pictures is best.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 11:37:18 AM »
Welcome to the collective Hamilton.  :borg:

I'm into modelrailroading also. I'm into HO, On3 and O. I've got an On3 layout started but like all my other projects it's collecting dust.

I also have a Sherline lathe that has a miil conversion on it. Great little machine for that model work.

Looked at your web site. Nice job on the turntable. A few more pics of the layout in the Gallery section if you have the time.  :poke:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline eidbi

• Ireland - Co. Kildare
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
Hi All,
I have just discovered Mediafire where I can post files and pictures for free if I keep the filesize below 200Mb and I don't have pictures that size!
Even if I put pics up at their normal full size I think that it lets you view them at a much smaller res, and you can then download in full if you want.

I have been out this afternoon "scrounging" for scrap. A friend has a scrapped piece of a small shipyard crane. It is one of the four "feet" wheel pieces that ran on rails. On it there is a gearbox which I can look into and I see a large brass gearwheel, probably a foot across which would make lots of parts for bogs engine! The whole piece of metal is about 1/2 ton so I can't get it in the boot of the jeep. I will have to try to dismantle it where it is. Just as I was leaving he gave me a block of metal 5 x 5 x 2.2cm with a threaded hole in it and it has "ALBD" and "CRM 30-58" on it. it's harder than a file, I can scratch it with carbide and I wonder what it is. A magnet does attract it.
Regards,
Hamilton

Offline eidbi

• Ireland - Co. Kildare
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 09:25:57 AM »
Hi All,
I got some more progress on the brass gear. It is not as big as I thought but still weighs 5.6 kg. The pictures are in mediafire http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=mexf276pw76mb and I will insert some small size ones here.

The other photo is of two other pieces of brass that he gave to me and told me what they are, but I am curious if any one else recognises them?

The last photo is of the steel piece that I mentioned in the last post.

Many thanks to all for the welcome.

Bernd.
I am making the turntable as a kit that I hope to sell on ebay. I have more work to do on the software though. I am going to use a 20 chara. X 4 line LCD and a keypad for setting up and selecting the track positions. Since I have the input and output I decided that I would also include a real time clock. The friend that I am building the layout for is 'into' timetables and not really interested in the scenic aspect so I am going to use the clock to provide a modellers clock which can be run at a range of speeds to allow a day's movements in maybe 1 or two hours.

Regards,
Hamilton

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 09:01:49 PM »
That brass gear is material for many small engines. The hard steel item - canīt say where itīs from. I think it says "ALBA". There were Alba shapers (cousins of Elliott & Boxford shapers) but I donīt think they used that kind of a logo.
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal