Author Topic: Need manual and shipping/packing advice for a ValuMaster 6"x12" surface grinder  (Read 4404 times)

Offline Sleazey

I have purchased a 5 year old manual surface grinder from a retired machinist. I will be picking it up the weekend of 2010/07/10. Unfortunately, he no longer has the manual.

So, if anybody has a manual they can scan and email, or hardcopy they can sell, let me know. I definitely need information about the following before I go fetch the machine next weekend.

First of all, I need any tips and pointers about how to pack this machine for shipping. I am picking it up myself, and it will face a 600 mile road trip to get it home. So I need to know how to protect the 36 ball bearings table and ways, since they must be protected from bumps and uncontrolled motion.

Also, is there some way to lock down the table, and the head assembly for travel?

Anything else I need to watch out for..., be careful of..., don't forget to..., make sure of..., etc.

I will be posting this request on other forums, since I need information as quick as I can get it.

The MSC model number is 09517970. The Enco model number is 619-2879.

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Offline 75Plus

Grizzly carries the same or similar unit. They also have the manual that can be downloaded. Find it here"

http://grizzly.com/products/6-x-12-Surface-Grinder-w-Stand/G5963

Joe

Offline Sleazey

I have downloaded that manual and parts list. However, it is not exactly the same as the model I am getting. My has 36 ball table ways, and Grizzly doesn't mention that at all.

It does have some clues about a lock for the head counterweight, so that is useful.

Offline 75Plus

The Grizzly Manual also states that the table just sets on the ways and is held by gravity. If yours does the same you can just lift it off there by removing all the load from the bearings.

Joe