Author Topic: A really daft question  (Read 5215 times)

PeeWee

A really daft question
« on: July 02, 2010, 10:14:17 AM »
Hi All,
I have thought long and hard today about whether to post this question or not.    :coffee:

My problem is simple, this morning i was in the shop at 05:30 doing some work before work(misses has to get up at 5 for her commute) and i have finally thrown my files out of the pram.
they are ones  I inherited from my father but they are C**P!!!!    :wack: i have searched the internet for most of the morning to find a UK supplier of QUALITY files of all sizes but can i find any that don’t seem too dam cheap for their own good.

does anyone here know where i can buy with confidence,  good quality engineers files?

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: A really daft question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:21:18 AM »
PW

Axminster stock Vallorbe. Which is wot I use. No problems, bearing in mind..

If it's been used on steel, it's pretty much kyboshed for all Eternity on brass ..

They don't live forever anyway ..

Have a link on me  :beer:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/-searchengineers%20files_pg1/

Dave BC
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:23:34 AM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 05:42:55 PM »
That´s a good link, Bluechip, thanks.  :clap:
I´ve been having the same problem, crappy files, though not inherited. There´s a Bahco/Oberg file factory here in Portugal, and they´re available "everywhere". Just that I´m not quite happy with them... And they come with plastic handles, so they also cost way too much. The Swedish made Oberg are/were on par with Swiss files, Vallorbe, Grobet, Valtitan, Baiter, etc. Although it seems I use files far less nowadays, since I´ve had a milling machine.
 :wave:   
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline Reckless_Engineer

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 07:09:20 PM »
That´s a good link, Bluechip, thanks.  :clap:
I´ve been having the same problem, crappy files, though not inherited. There´s a Bahco/Oberg file factory here in Portugal, and they´re available "everywhere". Just that I´m not quite happy with them... And they come with plastic handles, so they also cost way too much. The Swedish made Oberg are/were on par with Swiss files, Vallorbe, Grobet, Valtitan, Baiter, etc. Although it seems I use files far less nowadays, since I´ve had a milling machine.
 :wave:   

I use the bahco needle files and i cannot praise them enough!!! Ok so a box of each came with me when i left my previous employment so i wasnt paying the £7.50 each for them but when i do have to buy new i will be definatley buying these again. As for bigger files the kennady ones again that came with me do what they need to just fine

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 07:25:48 PM »
 :scratch: Somewhere, sometime, I once read that worn files can be restored to some extent by pickling them in sulphuric acid, or even by leaving them in the garden for a month or two to rust a little. It doesn't sound too likely a story to me, but it would be worth trying the garden method (which doesn't cost a lot) if you have an old one which you don't want to convert into a scraper or something.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

lordedmond

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 02:53:45 AM »
try vinegar its said to work but slower that battery acid

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 03:59:06 AM »
:scratch: Somewhere, sometime, I once read that worn files can be restored to some extent by pickling them in sulphuric acid, or even by leaving them in the garden for a month or two to rust a little. It doesn't sound too likely a story to me, but it would be worth trying the garden method (which doesn't cost a lot) if you have an old one which you don't want to convert into a scraper or something.

Andy

Nothing unlikely about that, Andy.

When I started work it was a standard practice. (The acid bit anyway).

Called Re-forming ...

At one time you could buy 'Re-formed' files. (from Whistons IIRC )

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

PeeWee

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 04:41:05 AM »
Thank you for the link, just whay i needed and couldn't find.

not sure the wife would undestand if i pickled the old files, more like call the men in white coats.  even if it is a valid option. :D