Author Topic: Hello from the Great White North (Canada, eh?)  (Read 4357 times)

Offline zetec7

Hello from the Great White North (Canada, eh?)
« on: June 28, 2010, 12:34:50 AM »
New guy here.  Not just to the site (GREAT site, by the way!), but to machining in general.  I've wanted a metal lathe since, well, steam was the primary source of motive power (well, not quite, but it was a long time ago!), and I've finally acquired one.  New to me, it's a 1947 9"X54" Model C South Bend.

I've been having a wonderful time making long, tiny springs out of various materials, and learning fairly quickly.  I've been on the Practical Machinist site for a little while, but as a novice swimmer in the machining pond, I find the waters a little deep for me.  I happened across this site while perusing the 'net for ball-turning attachments, and found several here.  Lo and behold, some of them even seem to be within reach of my own miniscule talents, and don't require the services of a full-service machine shop!  Lots of talent on this board, and lots of well thought-out ideas.  I think I'm going to have fun here!

Here's a pic of my acquisition.  The chip tray has since been replaced with a stainless steel one, as my wife wanted the lid to her Tupperware container back...

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Hello from the Great White North (Canada, eh?)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 01:18:50 AM »
zetec7

Welcome to MadModder zetec7. Glad to see another Canuck join up here. Where abouts in Canada are you? As you know its a big country. Myself, I'm from Kirchener, Ont. Looks like you have the lathe setup nicely there and making chips. Good thing you gave SHMBO her tupperware back as you don't want her on your butt if you go to buy more tools or supplies. I think that you will find us a friendly bunch on here and we love pictures. If you have any questions don't be scared to ask. There is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer: :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 01:30:12 AM »
Hi there and welcome to the club  :wave:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 09:18:53 AM »
Hi there  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Glad you like the site... our members are a great bunch. Nice looking Southbend you have there. Would love to get one that size myself.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 01:50:25 PM »
Welcome to the collective zetec7.  :borg:

Ya, what Don said.  :thumbup:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline zetec7

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 10:36:41 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, folks!  I'm getting some great ideas from stuff that the talented people here have done, and I'm looking forward to trying some of them out.  Dsquire - I'm wayyyy out on the west coast, about 20 miles outside Victoria, BC. 

One of my major projects is a Locost (a modified version of a Lotus Super Seven) that I'm scratch-building.  I know they're popular in the UK, and they're growing in popularity here, too.  Mine is at the rolling-chassis stage at present, the motor is built (I'm using a Weber-carburated 2-liter Ford Zetec engine and a Mustang 5-speed), and the suspension is done.  There is a tremendous amount to do yet, of course, and the devil is in the details.  To that end, I intend to teach myself basic machining so I can manufacture some of the one-off parts I'll need.  For example, I was out in the shop for a little while after work today, playing with the driveshaft for the car.  It had previously been cut (but not evenly), so I was figuring out how to turn a 4" diameter, 34" long driveshaft in my lathe.  I'm getting there - I already turned the yoke that had been removed to true it up, and now I'm in the process of figuring out how to turn the main lump, which still had the input-end yoke attached.  Hmmm - input shaft in 3-jaw, steady rest to support the shaft while I cut the free end true, maybe?

Anyway, I'm very glad to be here, and I'll probably be asking some (dumb) questions, so please, be gentle!!

Thanks, folks!!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 11:27:46 PM »
Very familiar with the locost... Have the book and am a member on LocostUSA. Using some of the frame design for a trike... What suspension are you using? Standard or inboard? I would like to see some pictures of where you are at.

Have you seen the DP1?

Oh... and ask away. There are no dumb questions.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 03:36:15 AM »
Hi Zetec,

Welcome to the collective!  :borg:

Please remember, we like pics, also, the only really dumb question is the one you don`t ask.......  :thumbup:

Enjoy!  :D

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline zetec7

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 01:14:53 AM »
Brass_Machine - I'm on LocostUSA as well (as zetec7, of course).  My website is accessible from there, with some pics of my Locost project.  I'm using a standard suspension, with some modifications.  My lower a-arms are fully adjustable for camber, caster, and anti-dive, and and my steering rack (custom) is adjustable for Ackerman.  I'm using GAZ adjustables, built-to-order, at all four corners (so far, the most expensive component in the build!).  The engine is a 2-liter Zetec, with dual Weber 45DCOE's, an 8-lb. Fidanza flywheel, Ehrlich ignition. Quad4Rods bellhousing (to mate to a Ford T-5 world-class 5-speed), and polished stainless header & exhaust, mated to a titanium muffler.  Many bucks spent so far, lots to go! :bugeye: