Author Topic: LOOKING FOR A NEW LATHE  (Read 7038 times)

Offline airgunmad

LOOKING FOR A NEW LATHE
« on: June 26, 2010, 03:34:47 AM »
Hi Everyone
I am new on here and need some help!
I am looking to purchase a new lathe, table-top size, but must have at least a 26mm hole in spindle
Quite happy with a Chinese lathe, as I had a Warco , which I was very pleased with, but it took up too much space
So any reccommendations would be appreciated.
Eddie

Offline Jasonb

Re: LOOKING FOR A NEW LATHE
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:33:22 AM »
If you have got a big strong table then you will be OK but to get 26mm Bore spindle you will need a machine with an MT4 tapered spindle that puts you into the 250-280mm swing lathes such as Warco and Chesters do.

Jason

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 05:23:52 PM »
Well, a new Myford has an MT4 spindle taper, but its bore is (only) 25 mm. It will swing 178 mm (centre height 3 1/2"), weighs some 100 kg, definitely tabletop size, and the cheapest(?) variant price incl. VAT = £6803.25 from the factory. Top specs model = £9819.48, w/basic standard accessories...   :bugeye:
Just waiting for a lottery win here, preferably a jackpot, and I´m off to replacing mine with a newer one   :lol:

:wave:
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 02:37:19 AM »
The big bore Myfords are a little more than 25mm as they can pass a 1" bar through the spindle.

So you do get an extra 0.4mm for your money ::)

Jason

lordedmond

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 02:52:23 AM »
yep and they run up to 3000 rpm  :)

I should know I have the top end one , BTW I live close to the factory

They are over 100 kgs as it made my 150 kg lift table struggle  to lift it

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 03:49:51 AM »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 09:10:33 PM »
Yes, Wabecos are also quite nice machines, and they are really made in Germany, unlike the Quantum/Optimum, where only the motor is German.
Another nice new machine is the Ceriani David 201 (Italian made). It also has an optional 32 mm spindle bore (20mm standard). Something like 85 kg´s, and tabletop size. For £2350.00, Chester UK will deliver.

lordedmond: yes, the Connoisseur (which always comes with the screw cutting gearbox) weighs quite a lot more than  a Super 7 Sigma with change wheels! My books say the gearbox weighs over 20 kg. And if you have the stand for it, and I guess you do, because they come that way from the factory, that´s some 35 kg´s more. No wonder your lift table was crying for mercy  :lol:
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 02:38:59 AM »
 It will swing 178 mm (centre height 3 1/2[/quote]

And don't forget you can swing your larger flywheels in the gap, just under 250mm I think.

The Wabeco's are nice machines, I had an Emco Ecomat 8.6 for a number of years similar quality (Austrian)

Jason

lordedmond

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 12:11:33 PM »
Yes, Wabecos are also quite nice machines, and they are really made in Germany, unlike the Quantum/Optimum, where only the motor is German.
Another nice new machine is the Ceriani David 201 (Italian made). It also has an optional 32 mm spindle bore (20mm standard). Something like 85 kg´s, and tabletop size. For £2350.00, Chester UK will deliver.

lordedmond: yes, the Connoisseur (which always comes with the screw cutting gearbox) weighs quite a lot more than  a Super 7 Sigma with change wheels! My books say the gearbox weighs over 20 kg. And if you have the stand for it, and I guess you do, because they come that way from the factory, that´s some 35 kg´s more. No wonder your lift table was crying for mercy  :lol:

no stand as I had one already , you should have seen the red faces when they delivered it from the factory its only 5 miles away
but its one hell of a machine if you are willing to pay the price for British engineering and support