Author Topic: X1 mini mill  (Read 11899 times)

Offline simp

X1 mini mill
« on: June 20, 2010, 06:46:55 PM »
Hi  Please ck my post in intro Thanks.   Any ways I bought a x1 mill, waiting on it .  It will be here tuseday,  I`m wondering what size vice?  I like, the I guess you call it the easy lock , like arc euro has .  I`m in the us but they have them here.  I`m just wondering on vice jaw Holding length  They come in 1.5 and 3.0 I think. In other words how fat of a piece should I expect to hold in a vise. on this mill.  I know pics,  but I`m not that good at this yet. I hope someone knows what I mean.  Thanks in advance.          Jim

Offline simp

Re: X1 mini mill
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 07:00:17 PM »
Hi it would not be lenght it would be width.

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 07:28:57 PM »
is this the vice you are after. it about the right size for the x1

peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline simp

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 09:05:29 PM »
Hi thanks . I seen that one, so I think you know what one I was looking at!  that looks like what I need.  You can`t buy twice or I try not to! Thanks.  also what about these fly cutters being 1/2 straight shank? with no draw bar? Thanks again   Jim

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 10:18:26 PM »
Heya Jim

We have a post that may help you with posting pictures... try HERE

Our Ralph did a great tutorial on posting pictures. Hope it helps!

Eric
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 10:47:04 PM by Brass_Machine »
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline simp

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 10:31:11 PM »
I hope this works

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 10:40:04 PM »
Simp, the straight shank flycutter needs to go into a collet which is then tightened into the spindle. 

I have this vise for my small milling machine.   http://tinyurl.com/27vxne7
The description says it opens up to 2", but it actually goes somewhat over 2½".  Pretty decent little vise.
I got it from the seller in the link.  Little Machine Shop also has a lot of stuff for your machines.

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline simp

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 10:47:11 PM »
Hi I have bought from him before. I think I got the pics down now so I`ll try to post what I`m looking at  Thanks.   :beer: :beer: Ok thanks on the collets That sounds more safe to me and make more sense Thanks again
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 11:14:27 PM by simp »

Offline simp

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 10:48:26 PM »
pic   ck  :D

Offline simp

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 11:01:07 PM »
ok heres what I`m looking at 1 is 2 inch and the other is 4 inch.  Thanks.  :headbang:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 11:03:01 PM by simp »

Offline simp

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 11:21:10 PM »
These are my plans.  Make rc parts and make some small gun parts minis ect.  And make steam engs Nothing to big.  As my lathe and new mill wont due to big. I allready know ther limints.   Pics of mill on tuesday!   

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 01:16:03 AM »
I have a big fixed vice and one of these that I use the most as I work in brass and ally and a bit of plastic this is handy as you can place the job in set it up and then if need be swing the job to an angle without complicated setups or removing the vice and re bolting it down, I dont think it is the most rigid tool I , but for most of my work it's good, its supposed to be 55mm opening but I think its a bit more.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:18:02 AM by HS93 »

Offline simp

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 08:49:35 PM »
Hi In found that vice in us at 1 supplyer but its the bigger 1, so not sure if I will get it.

Offline simp

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 09:05:07 PM »
 :(   Well got my mill on tuesday  :(  It came with shipping damage.!  But I ordered parts from lms and  :doh:  Got it going like new!  I thought these where supposed to be noise?   Mine seems pretty quity. I ordered 1 set of hold down clamps and 2 xtra t slots and got the screws less vise coming.  Plus I already got a collet set 1/4 3/8 1/2.  So I`m going to be making some chi[/img][/img]ps tonight!~   :D

Offline simp

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 09:16:36 PM »
The first thing I`m going to do is cut a new brass compound gib for my 7x12 lathe.  It`s junk !  you get side way lift on it.  I hope my plan works.   :D  :dremel:

Offline simp

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 09:24:59 PM »
This is the vise. I have comming.    :D   

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »
A hint attack it with parafin or some type off cleaner, also think about making a list off all the screws and buy decent ones, that will help you in future when one rounds ,and you cannot get it out cheap but worth while, also i fitted ballraces and thrust bearings on the lead screws again very cheap but improved the machine dramaticaly, they are a good machine as they come for the price and size, but rember it does have limitations but most things can be done with a bit of thought, oh and buy some extra fuses the right size, dont put biger in as the power supply is a dear as the mill to buy ( nearley)

Happy Milling

Peter

Offline simp

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 09:01:46 AM »
Hi thanks peter for your help. I hear you on the screws they seem to be smaller in size.   I stripped it and cleaned it with kero and relube it with chain saw bar oil. 
I can`t find the 55 mm vise that turns  here in the us .  Grissly has one but its like 3 1/8 or I think 95 mm.  If anyone knows of a suppler for the red vice on page one
thats 55 mm in the us please chime in thanks.  Also I don`t like how the mill table is not centered  to the mill head. meaning you have to crank the table towards you off the gibs a inch.   I`m  thinking of getting the super x1 base,  I think that corrects that I hope ,  But have to do more research on it.  I did a couple of practice cuts last night and so far I happy with it,  for what I`m going to use it for.   Well more to come as I crank and tool this bad boy up !   Thanks   

Jim simpson                :nrocks:      :ddb:  :ddb:

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 10:33:43 AM »
if you buy the long table buy a spare nut for the lead screw (only very cheap) then you can kep them in sets as it has to be spot on it is one of the weaknesses of the machine I have been looking for wats to sort it for some time.

:ddb:  Peter   :ddb:

Offline Dean W

• Projects web pages
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 04:34:48 PM »
I kinda wonder why you used chainsaw bar oil on your new milling machine.  Are you going to cut trees with it?
Dean W.

Shop Projects:

Offline simp

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 10:19:44 PM »
 :D  No its just a good oil it sticks well.  Some people swear by mobile one, why ??    Its what works for me.  Could be total wrong though.  AS I 0ften am.   

Offline Dean W

• Projects web pages
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 01:25:21 AM »

It just sounded funny to me, Jim.

I don't know why people would put Mobil 1 on their mill or lathe either.  For the ways, I use.. wait for it..   Way oil!
It's made specifically for machine ways.  New machines are kind of spendy.  Way oil, pretty cheap.

Regards,

Dean

Dean W.

Shop Projects:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!