Author Topic: Automated gates  (Read 5091 times)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Automated gates
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:45:51 PM »
dont know if this is the right place to post this but hear goes, I am in need of an automated gate for my house , about 3 meters long , has anybody played with such things ? it will be rought iron and about 900mm high , I want a single gate as that suits the path the best also i want to go for an underground opperating system, anyway is anybody using or used this type of system and can give me some pointers what to avoid etc

thanks

peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Automated gates
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 01:26:43 PM »
It's in the right place.

First, will the gate swing open or slide sideways to open?

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 02:29:25 PM »
Its a single gate swinging, no space for a slider, needs to open about 85deg only as the front of the property is not square

thanks

peter

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 08:44:39 AM »
Best I can come up with is some type of ackerman linkage, such as used on automobiles steering to activate the gate.

Not much help, I know. Have you tried a search of the net to see if there are any ideas out there?

Bernd

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 08:50:07 AM »
yes there are plenty of units, some electric some hydrolic some use underground units some use actuater linnear arms, what i hoping for is if someone has knoledge of them and which is the best way to go, and what to avoid, or if some one has built a unit.

thanks

Peter

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 09:03:07 AM »
Peter,

Just checked out a gate company on the net.

Having some experince with a boat motor tilt unit which uses an electric motor to drive a hydraulic pump to tilt the motor I would say that would be the ideal way to go. Then again you need to consider if you want to deal with hydraulic leaks and how cold will it get in the winter.

I've never in my life time have come across anybody that has built one. Sounds like this could be a trail and error project.

Good luck in your effort to finding a solution.

Bernd

Offline Fred Bloggs

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 05:35:13 AM »
Peter

Just a suggestion but you could try using a satellite dish motor, alot cheaper than industrial linear motors, and they are designed for outside.

See the following link as an example:-    http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/motors.htm

At the bottom of the page is a large number of cheap linear actuators.

Hope its of some help, and if you need some help with the control electrics let me know and I'll sketch some simple-ish ideas out for you.

Best Regards

Fred

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 06:33:57 PM »
I have considered automatic gates but I never got around to it. :coffee:

The gates must be safe in that if they are obstructed they stop without damage,  the gates are quite long and heavy (usually) which requires a tremendous torque applied by the actuator.

So I came up with an idea...

Usually, the gate swings on a vertical pivot but I think it would be easy to make an automatic opening gate by moving the pivot point slightly.  When the gate is closed the top pivot is further out from the post than the lower pivot so the gate naturally 'hangs' in the closed position.  Now if the top pivot is moved to one side the gate will lean slightly and also rise a little at the closing end, the result is that the gate will swing open until it hits a stopper post.  To close the gate move the pivot to the original position.

I think you could do this by incorporating an eccentric mechanism in one of the hinges.  The gate would also need some sort of positive latch to keep it closed.

My thoughts for what they may be worth... :coffee:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:35:35 PM by John Hill »
From the den of The Artful Bodger