Author Topic: Greetings from the Asylum!  (Read 4337 times)

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Greetings from the Asylum!
« on: June 16, 2010, 06:34:09 PM »
Hello All,

I will be in and out as time dictates.  I currently work as a mechanical design and development engineer.  I started out as a tool & die machinist and "backed" into design and engineering through the latter days of the Apollo program.  About 1/3'rd of my work involves developing prototypes, so my machine shop tends to be slightly more than "hobbyist" in nature.  As a mechanical engineer, 3 years of my education was learning to prove mathematically that Murphy was an optimist (that's the 3rd Law of Thermodynamics for those of you interested in such things).

One of my ongoing "back burner projects" is to write a new mechanical design engineer's handbook.  Some of my writings towards that end are posted at http://www.scribd.com/Lew%20Merrick.  I do maintain a rather extensive engineering/technical library, so feel free to beat me about the head and shoulders when you are looking for obscure engineering/technical information.

We endeavor to avoid having the motto, "Ready, fire, AIM!"  (Pirated from the inside of the spotting shed at Special Operation's sniper training center.)

---   Lew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Greetings from the Asylum!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 07:39:03 PM »
Lew,

Welcome to the collective.  :borg:

I think your expertise will be much valued here at MadModder. My dad was a tool and die maker back from the old country of Germany. Learned a lot from him in the machining area.

Now some of us are reading challenged and need pictures to see what your up to. So when time permitts a few pics in the appropriate area will help us.  :)

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 08:59:27 PM »
Lew

Welcome to MadModder Lew. With the knowledge that you have I certainly look forward to seeing some of the posts that you will probably be making from time to time. I will have to drop in to your site and have a look around. We look forward to having you share some of your projects with us as you have the time.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:41:39 PM »
Hiya Lew  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Sounds like you have a great background! I for one would love to hear what you have to say. I am definitely interested in hearing about the prototype stuff... did you say "Apollo"??  :headbang:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 03:36:29 AM »
Hi Lew, welcome to madmodders  :mmr:  Sounds like you will fit right in here.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 04:58:24 AM »
Hi Lew,  :wave:

Welcome to the collective!  :borg:

We`re a mixed bunch on here...... Ask questions..... Provide answers....... Show pics....... ENJOY!  :D

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 09:57:21 AM »
Sounds like you have a great background! I for one would love to hear what you have to say. I am definitely interested in hearing about the prototype stuff... did you say "Apollo"??

Yup, Apollo.  I used to (Dark Ages memory coming on here) do a lot of work for the old Hughes Tool & Die R&D Division in Carson City.  We designed, built, and tested (the fun part) a Lunar Rover that ended up not being used (I wonder what became of it).  There's a Mars Rover system set to launch next August/September if the schedule is not changed.  The vector motor hypergolic fuel pump that steers it from here to Mars is something I developed a few years back.  The only problem in that arena is that I am not allowed to take or keep pictures...

I am currently working on: a switchblade-type tool for Force Recon Marines EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal), a medical ultrasonic diagnostic/treatment system (packaging), and a medical device (bodily) fluids pump system.  These are all either classified or under proprietary information agreements -- so no pictures.  I was the chief engineer and integrator of the machine that makes the Hasbro/Playskool "ABC" wooden block toys that replaced the original machine (built in 1904) back in the mid-1990's.  The first job I did that I "sealed" as a PE (that's American for PEng for the Canadians here) was a sling to lift an elephant for Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle (1986).  My brother's sweetheart at that time was the chief veterinarian for the elephants there.  That gives me the really bad, but true, joke of being able to say that, "I have worked all the way from aerospace to zoolology."

Insanity is its own reward -- and I have been well rewarded!

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 06:49:37 PM »
  That gives me the really bad, but true, joke of being able to say that, "I have worked all the way from aerospace to zoolology."

I would say, judging by this, that working with the ABC blocks had a major influence on your sense of humour.....  :) :D

Welcome, please feel free to share any national secrets you wish.... as an Aussie Ive already heard em...... :beer: , no wait, that was the jokes... nah just send me all the secrets on an unmarked used dvd.... oh, youll have to pay the post, Im short until blackmail day....
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 11:32:52 AM »
  That gives me the really bad, but true, joke of being able to say that, "I have worked all the way from aerospace to zoolology."

I would say, judging by this, that working with the ABC blocks had a major influence on your sense of humour.....  :) :D

Artie (and all),

Ah, one of the "If I had only known..." projects I turned down was developing the injection mold dies and assembly tools for a dildo.  I just could not believe that there was that much $$$ in them.  The guy who took the project made $1.2 million in royalties over three years -- in 1978-1981!  Instead, I took a ($22,000/year) job as an R&D engineer at Boeing...

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 07:57:51 PM »
ah Lew Lew Lew... ya gotta stop dicking around.....  :lol:

Oh sorry.... couldnt help myself.......im vibrating with laughter.....
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.