Author Topic: Rounding bar ends - how?  (Read 6761 times)

Offline cidrontmg

Rounding bar ends - how?
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
I know how to make neat rounded ends to a bar, if it has a hole near the end, that will serve as a pivot point, so you can swing the bar around touching an end mill. These were made like that.

But letīs assume there is no hole near the end. How could I fix the bar then? Suction cups (hehe...)? Two needles (on top and below)? Or do I need to build some sort of a jig? If so, what sort of a jig?   :doh:
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline 75Plus

Re: Rounding bar ends - how?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 10:27:43 PM »
I use a jig similar to this sketch. Two or three grub screws to hold the work piece and the pivot pin as close to the end as possible. This will allow various radii depending on the placement of the work piece. I have not included dimensions as they will vary depending on size required.

Joe

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 12:37:42 AM »
That's a good idea, Joe.  I like the 'adjustable' aspect.
I use something similar, with a false rod with a hole in the end beneath the part that needs rounding off,
but it doesn't allow for different radii like yours will.  I think I need to make one like yours!
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 02:11:52 AM »
Now...... That`s a great idea!  :clap:

Thanks Joe. :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 04:50:25 AM »
 75Plus:
Thatīs it!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
Exactly what I was after, just couldnīt figure out how to get there. Grub screws on both sides of the slot, and you could center the workpiece for various widths. Pivot point very near the apex of the vee... Iīm going to start today, and post pictures when done. Thank you!  :nrocks:
 :wave:
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 12:12:20 PM »
Done. Thereīs a workpiece in it for testing (a rocker arm), and it works just fine.  I made a small ali "table" whereupon the jig is mounted with a M3 screw, and which can be mounted to the mill vise.

The workpiece is held with six M3 screws, so it doesnīt have to be symmetrical, practically any shape that will fit inside the jig (17 mm wide) can be held tight enough.

Thanks again Joe / 75 Plus!     :wave:      I will have use for this.
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 12:42:05 PM »
Nice one Joe  :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :smart: :smart: :smart:

Looking good cidrontmg   :dremel: :dremel: :dremel: :dremel: :dremel: Whats the rocker arm for ?

Cheers Rob

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »
I had not considered the "Free Form" aspect of the holder. Yours is much improved over the sketch I made. I do have one small suggestion. To lessen the amount of tension required to hold odd shaped workpieces you might add a back stop to support the back end. Just an idea I sketched. The two pins would drop into matching holes in the holding fixture. The stop screw length would be determined by the size of the fixture.

Joe

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »
Another excellent modification from Joe / 75Plus:       :clap: :clap: :clap:

I fixed the backstop with 2 brass screws. It can stay there "forever", it might get lost if itīs a loose part. If ever I need a round end to a bar longer than 60mm / 2.4", then Iīll just take it off. Otherwise, it not only lessens the tension needed in the holding screws, it also makes very easy to dupli(multipli)cate parts that are supposed to be of equal length and equally rounded. And the end of the stop makes for a bit more sensitive handle. A most sensible addition!

Thank you again, Joe / 75Plus!  :thumbup:

Rob.Wilson: the rocker arm is one of many that I made for an upcoming engine. I sensibly made some spares, and thatīs one which has been subject of all sorts of  tests and experiments, like this one here.
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 07:44:07 PM »
Cid.

Nice work. A well constructed jig that will serve you years.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline kvom

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 08:19:07 AM »
Looks like a 5-cylinder radial from the parts being made.