Author Topic: Gauge 1 - first loco build suggestions?  (Read 8638 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Gauge 1 - first loco build suggestions?
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:12:15 PM »
I would like to read more on Gauge 1 loco builds, I have a lot of projects on but I have wanted to start a loco for months. After finding out a while ago that a relative has a Gauge 1 track in his garden, I`ve been looking into G1 engines all evening. There is a huge amount of choice and a single cyclinder engine seems a sensible suggestion for my first build. I have seen the "Project" design book by G1MRA in the states which gets a good write up and have found a few suppliers of boilers. I think for my first one I`m going to purchase laser cut frames and then later the boiler, making the rest from bar stock. Details of "http://www.gaugeone.org/project.htm" - it looks like the book needs ordering from the states but I`ll look into that more if I choose to go for it. After that I`ve been looking at "Dee" which seems popular but is a twin cylinder.

Has anyone got any suggestions before I commit any money into at least purchasing a design book. I will need to have some for of build notes as I am unlikely to be confident enough to build from the plans alone. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.
Chris

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Gauge 1 - first loco build suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 01:53:54 AM »
Chris

Check HMEN out there's a couple of G1 builds on the go there.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 03:24:38 AM »
Cheers Stew, will pop over there now. Have you heard of the G1 Project - it seems quite a popular design. I must admit, for £10 I have decided to order the "Project - G1MRA" book, it should be a good read at the least.
Chris

Offline Gauge3

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 05:09:31 AM »
Hi Chris,

I have both 'Project' and 'Dee' books and they have both been revised over the years, so are good references. The Project is the simpler od the two and does lend itself to being built into different engines if you have a preference for a particular railway for instance. However, I think the Dee is a better and more modern design to work on even though a little more work may be reqired. It's certainly not going to be twice as much work to have the twin cylinder layout. There's a lot of the work (frames, boiler, platework, wheels etc) that will be pretty much the same whichever loco you build. Both engines have been designed with relative 'beginners' in mind and I know EDee has been built as a "first engine" by many.

From memory, the Dee book does reference some aspects of the Project book (or at least my 1st Edition did) but I also seem to recall that G1MRA sells both books as a package these days (non-Members pay a small increment) so I'd look at their website to check pricing.

The cost of the books will be a small investment given the cost in time and matertials required to build (and hopefully finish) a good engine. Why not get both books and have a good read and then decide what to do. I think you will like 'Dee'.

Regards,

Ian

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
Gauge3 - thanks for your reply. I have now ordered Project book and when it arrives, order Dee.  There does seem a little more available for Dee in the way of castings, available laser cut frames and also ready built boilers however those parts available for Project seems a little cheaper. That being said, I will probably be buying the frames laser cut but the rest from bar stock although the boiler is something that I would consider buying ready made and at £195 for Dee and £150 for project, I guess compared to the rest of it, there isn`t too much in it.

I think your advice is very sound and I should read both books before I make a choice.

Stew - I know you mentioned some project builds over on HMEM, I`ve seen the Nina build on G1 and that is amazing. I`ve just spent the last hour reading it! I can`t see any more G1 builds on there.... I`m sure there must be a few, I`m obviously not searching the right thing. There aren`t by any chance any Dee or Project builds are there out there?

All the best
Chris

Offline Gauge3

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 04:14:17 AM »
Chris,

I don't know whether you've seen this site but I'd very much recommend it to you if not.

http://www.markusneeser.ch/Markus_Neeser_-_Fine_Gauge_1_Model_Engineering/I_could_never_do_that.html

Marcus wrote a series of articles for the G1MRA Magazine and has thoughtfully made them available on the web. His idea was to take some of the fear and mystery out of buidling small locos. I've very much enjoyed his writings and think some of his methods are really very innovative & applicable to live steam in other small gauges (like Gauge 3 for instance!).

As you read the 'Project/Dee' books - have a look at these articles and I think they will provide you with a lot of advice on how to "do" things simply and end up with a good result. Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

Regards,   Ian