Author Topic: Having a small Crisis over here...... Can anybody help?  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Reckless_Engineer

Having a small Crisis over here...... Can anybody help?
« on: June 11, 2010, 01:17:14 PM »
Well as this is my first post I think an introduction is in order??

My name is Tom and i found my way here through David (Stilldrillin) via the toy steam forum To start with i was refering to the odd post now and then,Now ive read half of the forum and i am amazed by some of the stuff you guys get upto so thought i should sign up lol.

I have been a Manual and cnc machinest for the past 5 years,although i did lose my job in febuary so i am now working for a courier company.

This leads me onto my question............ How the Bl**dy hell do i align the tailstock on my 7x12 minilathe. Its the Conquest Model with the 2 screws on the back of the tail stock and the bolt from the bottom.

Ive found a few bits about doing it but there seems to be no logic behind how it works. As it is now its .2mm of center and run out from the bed is .25mm. It was well over a milly when i got it even though the inspection sheet said it was with 0.03mm. I must have spent 5 hours on and off now to no avail :bang: :bang: :bang:  I want a normal tailstock back :(

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Having a small Crisis over here...... Can anybody help?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 02:28:33 PM »
Hiya Tom  :wave:

Glad you joined up. welcome to the collective :borg:

About your tailstock... go HERE about 3/4 of the way down is some good info on adjusting it.

More info HERE

And this one should help you the most HERE

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline jim

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 03:03:46 PM »
welcome!

another full time engineer!
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 04:37:07 PM »
Hi Tom!

Nice to see you here mate.....  :wave:

Big welcome to the collective!  :borg:

Someone here always knows something, about something else. Whether he can explain so you understand, will be another story!  :D

Modders, we got a nice guy here, and he`s struggling a bit with a brand new lathe. I`ve tried to help him, but it`s not easy via pm`s.  ::)

Eric, I`ve already sent him HERE & HERE......  :bang:

I know what I`d do.... But, first I would need it in my own workshop.......  :scratch:

Good luck Tom! :thumbup:

David D

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:38:42 PM by Stilldrillin »
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Reckless_Engineer

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 05:34:33 PM »
Hi Tom!

Someone here always knows something, about something else. Whether he can explain so you understand, will be another story!  :D

David D

Its not just me having that problem then lol.

I have an idea which might work similar to the adjustment idea in one of the links above. Instead of bolting the half inch bar on each end with an adjusting screw in the middle bolt it in the middle and have an adjusting screw either side. Have one of these either side of the tailstock and it should give 4 points of adjustment allowing me to align the centres and ensure its running parrallel to the bed if ive made any sense there lol. Also The bolt that locks the 2 pieces together drill it through and put the nut at the bottom and the head ontop allowing it to be nipped up without removing it.

Now do i risk do this without a mill?????

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :mmr:

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 02:08:42 AM »
Hi Tom, and welcome.
I don't know your lathe, but I came across this looking for something else, and bookmarked it for some reason.
Maybe it will have something to help:
http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/Lathe_Align.html#Tailstock_Align

He has a number of things to do for the mini-lathe on that page that you might find interesting.

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!