Author Topic: Reversing your mandrel safely.  (Read 3716 times)

Offline ieezitin

Reversing your mandrel safely.
« on: June 10, 2010, 12:55:49 PM »
Hi guys.

I have a 12 x 36 Atlas and a Logan 200 both with 1-½ -8 tpi nose spindle threads on the mandrel so my chucks and face plates work on both and equally the two machines have reversing motors.

In my work life I always used positive lock chucks etc so reversing the spindle was never a problem, but in my hobby shop I have never to date had the need to reverse the head mandrel.

Now I have a need to swing the other way excuse the pun!. But I need to secure my tooling, I was thinking about making a locking chuck plate held in my collet but I am not sure if it would be safe.

So my question is this what is the correct way to secure my tool holding pieces that will guarantee my tooling staying put on the nose without flinging off and tearing holes in my walls, floors and me!.

I thank you all in advance.   Anthony.   
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: Reversing your mandrel safely.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 04:20:32 AM »
If you do not need the spindle through hole for this job perhaps you can put a bar in there in the fashion of a draw bar?
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline ieezitin

Re: Reversing your mandrel safely.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:53:02 PM »
John.
 Thanks for the reply. Your idea is what I am going to do, a bar will be made and then a ½ x ½ key will be perpendicular at the chuck end and it will fit inside the hole in the chuck and will be screwed to the chuck and or face plate.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.