Author Topic: Hello From Aus  (Read 3570 times)

Offline guerd87

• Johnhobson.ws
Hello From Aus
« on: June 10, 2010, 02:19:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

Been a member on this forum for a while, just drooling over all the great talent you guys have.

I have myself a Sieg C3A lathe with DRO which I bought from a local shop here in Aus. Dont have alot in the way of tooling for it, but the general pieces to turn and bore parts. I have used it to make small brass and Alloy parts mainly for RC cars or general hobby use. I am also interested in Electronics and Open source hardware/software platforms. Im currently in the middle of building a JGRO CNC for my workshop aswell.

Now that I know the basics with my lathe I am looking to learn about building small Compressed Air/Steam engines. I dont have access to a Mill(Yet) though so Im hoping that a Lathe, Drill Press and hand tools can suffice. I think a Wobbler type engine will be manageable with these tools. Anyone have any links to some plans for a guide?

Looking forward to posting on this board a bit more now that I have free time to get out into the workshop a bit more and do some work.

John

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Hello From Aus
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 03:20:14 AM »
guerd87

Welcome to MadModder guerd87. We are glad that you introduced yourself and told us a bit about yourself. I am sure that you will be able to find help on most any question that you have as there are a varied lot of skills represented by the various members from all around the world. As you get the time perhaps you can post up a few pictures of some of the things that you are up to as we always like to see pictures. Enjoy!  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 05:49:19 AM »
Hi John  :wave: welcome to the forum, there are a number on here who are similarly interested in machining and electronics, so you'll fit right in. I look forward to seeing what you are up to  :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline MikeA

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 06:30:23 AM »
Hello John,

Welcome! I am a relatively new member as well and have only been involved with machining for a year or so. Most of the things I've made are tooling and mods on my equipment.

Certainly the abilities demonstrated by many of the members of this forum are nothing short of amazing and I only hope to someday be able to do work even roughly equivalent.

You will find the people here more than willing to help and very responsive to 'newbie' questions.

All the best,
Mike
'Better is the enemy of good enough!'

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:28:09 AM »
Hi John!  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

I think you will fit right in. What's in your avatar?

Do you have a milling attachment for your lathe? One might get you by until you get a mill. They look like this:

You can make one or buy one.

For a simple wobbler look HERE I quote:
This oscillating steam engine is a great first project. It can be made on a lathe and drill press, but using a milling machine is easier.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline guerd87

• Johnhobson.ws
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:36:59 PM »
Thanks everyone! :)

Brass_Machine: I have been looking one of those attachments, I think I will get one to build my first few engines until I can save up enough for a mill. As for the wobbler engine. I looked at the plan last night and have decided aswell to go with this as my first goal. From there I can step up in the world :)

As for the Avatar, its a RC scale rock crawler that I built and compete with. Then I turned it into a Winch Challenge truck

Heres it sitting next to my 2.2 Rock Crawler in the early stages

Starting the Cage

During a local winch challenge comp

Just after a comp with included snatch strap

Theres a few videos of when I first built the truck on youtube
<-- first real run
<-- Another build

MikeA: I have been doing the same, building tools when I need them, doing some mods to my lathe along the way. I want to try out the tapered gibs, like Bogs done to Darrens lathe as mine are not real good. I have lapped them and adjusted but still not overly happy with it.

spuddevans  & dsquire: I plan to be putting some posts up soon on what im working on, Dont worry. I love pictures too :)

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 07:54:04 PM »
Gday bloke, looks like you found your way ok. Nice place this pretty relaxed.

When are you picking your clay up? Ive been thinking about the insul wool , probably wouldnt do any harm not to have it but if we can find a third person interested Id go thirds in a sheet.

Cheers mate.

Rob T
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Offline guerd87

• Johnhobson.ws
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 11:05:50 PM »
Yea mate, all good :) Just been a little slack on the projects as of late - been a bit sick :(

Looking to get the clay prob in another 2-3 weeks now, just had to pay ambulance cover + car insurance >.<

Ill have a talk to one of my mates who is also interested in casting to see if he wants some. I was going to ask if he wanted to go halves, but 3rd's sounds better again.

John