Author Topic: Just A Quick Project  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
Just A Quick Project
« on: May 25, 2010, 11:14:32 PM »
This sort of snuck in under the radar. Nothing was planned but this opportunity came along and away it went......

'This' is a set of angle plate raw castings I saw on Flea-buy. I put in a bid of $20 and damn if I didnt win it.

It all arrived yesterday, I picked up some suitable sized hi tensile nuts n bolts and after work I jumped in.

Firstly square up the lugs...

Missed a pic here, sorry... bolted my fixed 90Deg angle plate to the mil, clamped the face plates to these and adjusted then verticall and drilled the bolt holes through.... then bolted it together... damn if that didnt come out parrallel...doing something wrong??

This is a p.s. im thinking about a single through bolt with a suitable spacer instead of the two bolts. Anyone have any experience here? Just thinking it would be easier to cinch up one bolt than two...

Its loaded onto the surface grinder in the last shot... lights really bad by now....

I dont have a finished shot as it was after 7 when I got the faces flat and square. Will add one tonight when I get home.

Came up really well... its just another piece to the puzzle which is our workshops. Dont know how often Ill use it.. but I cant use it if I havent got it.... if its anything like the old horizontal mill, its done a heap of work since recomissioning...

I will say that working with cast iron isnt my favourite material... :D

These are 'office' hands.... dont often get like this anymore.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Rob T
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:36:30 PM by Artie »
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Just A Quick Project
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:07:59 AM »
Great job Rob. Them is the kind of office hands we like to see. That way we know that they have been doing something. :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 02:10:35 AM »
Hi Rob  :headbang:

Nice ebay fined ,, :clap: :clap: :clap:  it will be a handy addition to the shop  :dremel:   ,,,,,,,,,were you been hiding that swing grinder  :D

Cheers Rob

Offline Artie

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 07:22:51 AM »
Hi Don n Rob, im good with the result as you can see here, Don, IM ALWAYS doing something... just mostly not productive  :D :) Im a trady in my previous life...got enough scars... I fnd though that my lilly white soft hands get cut up much easier these days.... :clap: ::) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob, the grinders not mine, in fact I had a can cracked while i watched John do his thing.... this is a flywheel grinder and John sells clutches etc and also grinds flywheels..... he kindly offered to let me drink his beer while he did the job..... kind fellow......

Now...normal hands.... (same hand..can you believe it??)

And the finished product, obviously both sides were ground.... rust forming already.. damned cast... grumble..... after grinding it was washed and sprayed with a rust inhibitor... imagine how it would look without it....

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 07:39:28 AM »
Hi Rob

So how did you get black hands ,if your mate did the grinding  :scratch:,,,,,,,,, did you fall over when you went to get a beer from the cooler   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D

Angle plate is looking good ,,,,,,, would make a nice casting project  :dremel:

Regards Rob  :thumbup:

Offline Artie

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 07:51:16 AM »
jeez... another Pom tryin to be John Cleese (funniest man in the whole world)....

Nah mate, he made me set the machine up before he did the operating... sort of slave labour, HIS hands where quite clean afterwards.... but he did it for nothing so....... how can I complain?

Have you ever cast .. er uhm cast? I havent, and am led to believe that its a whole new world in terms of a new skill set.... BUT having said that, is there any reason why this couldnt be made form substantial lumps of cast aluminium? For our purposes (reasonably light duty) Im fairly confident it would be feasible, when the surface gets marked simply hit it with the flycutter again.... ?? hmmmmm??