Author Topic: R.W Gas Engine  (Read 64205 times)

Rob.Wilson

R.W Gas Engine
« on: May 16, 2010, 03:55:09 PM »
Hi Lads  :wave:

Well   :proj: has struck again ,,,,,,,,, Now that most of my machines are sort of done and the furnace is up and running , i thought i better start yet another engine project , well i wanted some excuse to do some casting , I bought the plans for the R&B Gas engine a few years back because its a nice big-un  ,,,,,,Then when i looked at the plans i found out i could not cast the parts due to the size of my old furnace  :bang: :bang: :bang:.

So this afternoon i made a start on the patterns for the bed casting , The bed plate as drawn is  some what plain ,so i re drew the bed adding a bit more detail , it should look like dis , i hope

Progress so far ,,,,,,,,,i only use the straightest / close grained MDF for my patterns .

Regards Rob
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:58:39 PM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: R.W Gas Engine
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 04:05:32 PM »
The grain is running the wrong way on the mounting feet  :poke:

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline shoey51

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 06:06:58 PM »
looks good to me  :thumbup:

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 06:37:32 PM »
Im watchin ... Im watchin..... mdf is crap to work with isnt it.... 'specially that 'straight grain stuff'....

Thats a complex plug mate, you gonna pull it apart for us so we can see up under its skirts? I find this part fascinating... visualising something so you can make it removeable from the sand is not always easy. In essence you are working to create a reverse image.... I think you have to be a bit of a nutter to be able to do it well.... sort of twisted and axxse about.

Hurry up n fire up the furnace...  :clap: :bow: :beer:
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 07:01:24 PM »
Hi John ,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol: so it is  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks shoey51  :thumbup:

Hi Rob ,,,,,,,,, yep MDF is pretty crappy stuff  :lol: :lol: :lol:,, but its the only stuff that dose not warp , NE UK is a tad damp  :bang: :bang: ,, I have done a fare bit of head scratching  today on this one  :scratch:  , There will be one pattern and two core moulds , when moulded i will stick the two cores together ,,,,,,,,think it will work

Cheers Rob

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 07:09:19 PM »
I love it, MDF that is, it's so easy to throw a piece on the mill and get a simple one off pattern from.
Saves hours of work as opposed to cutting out of a billet and they look the biz.

These are side columns for a pencil sharpener, only two needed and the pattern is made so it's reversible and can do both sides.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Artie

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 07:13:06 PM »
ah... well... gee.....

Uhm...John..... do you own a LOT of pencils?

:) :D :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :) :D :) :D :) :D

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 07:18:39 PM »
Hi John

Thats some pencil sharpener  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers Rob

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 07:20:40 PM »
Sharpens 7,000 per hour.

Anyway forget this as it's detracting from robs engine post.

Fire that furnace up !!

Rob, check your email.
John Stevenson

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 09:01:11 PM »
What a neat thing this should be!   What metal are you using for this casting, Rob?
Please feel free to post excessive photos!  An excess will still not be enough in this case.
: )

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 06:05:18 PM »
Hi Lads  :headbang:

Thanks Dean ,,,,,,,,, the plans call for an ally casting for the Bed ,,,, Which is probably best , help keep the weight down .

Well a little more  progress tonight , starting to look like something ,

The lower section of the base looks thick , thats cos there is an extra piece of monkey wood holding things together temporary. Still lots to do  :D

Cheers Rob  
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 06:07:46 PM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 02:58:42 AM »
Rob, is it just the photos or have you not put any draft angle onto the parts?

And just a point about the MDF it can easily swell in width in a damp enviroment, the MR MDF (moisture resistant) is a lot better in thar respect anf generally a lot better to work with.

Jason

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 03:44:45 AM »
Oh, my......

I`m starting to feel very inferior, again........  ::)

Fabulous work, as usual, Rob!  :thumbup:

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 05:40:53 AM »
Oh, my......

Fabulous work, as usual, Rob!  :thumbup:

David D

I'm feeling inferior too   ....    :(

Probably 'cos I am ....   :lol:

Really impressive Rob ..  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Dave BC 
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Artie

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 07:50:41 AM »
There will be one pattern and two core moulds , when moulded i will stick the two cores together ,,,,,,,,think it will work

Only way to find out is go! So lets go..... this is a very complex pattern mate, looking forward to seeing it all come out of the sand.....

Speaking of patterns, I found a guy here in Aus who has built his own Gingery shaper..... trying to buy his patterns off him, hes gonna let me know..... these thing are a major investment in time, much more so than most people think...

well done bloke and good luck.....  :beer:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 10:01:21 AM »
Hi Lads

Thanks David and Dave  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  David ,, starting on your job as soon as i have given this one a coat of paint  :)

Hi Jason,,,,,,,, yep  most of the draft is on ,,,, still a few nights work left on the pattern ,

Hi Rob ,,,,,,,,, Your right there mate , allot of work in making patterns , i could have welded this up in half a shift  :lol: , i hope you get those shaper patterns , building a shaper would be a great project

Cheers Rob   

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 10:13:49 AM »
There will be one pattern and two core moulds , when moulded i will stick the two cores together ,,,,,,,,think it will work

Only way to find out is go! So lets go..... this is a very complex pattern mate, looking forward to seeing it all come out of the sand.....

Speaking of patterns, I found a guy here in Aus who has built his own Gingery shaper..... trying to buy his patterns off him, hes gonna let me know..... these thing are a major investment in time, much more so than most people think...

well done bloke and good luck.....  :beer:
Hi all, fine looking pattern, I expect you must have got all the draft right cause no one would try to pull a pattern that complex out of sand without being sure it was going to come up without the sand. :lol:  I've only made a few patterns in my life, and machined lots out of billet, it seems making the pattern is as much work as machining the billet, but not so dodgy on accuracy, and once it's cast, lot's less machining, since the casting has its pattern established in, well, the pattern.  I'd sure like to see pictures of the ramming up and pulling of the pattern, and certainly the pouring.  Looking forward to this build, looks right interesting. :thumbup: mad jack

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 04:45:27 PM »
Hi Mad Jack ,,,,,,,, i hope i have it right  :smart:

A few more photos ,, its now split into what will be the Pattern and core box's ,,, i still have all the fillets to do .

Cheers Rob

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »

David D

I'm feeling inferior too....   
Dave BC 

Oh!  I'm starting to feel... education!
(I can feel inferior some other time.)  :scratch:

Rob, I'd really like to see just how you put this all together in the sand.  Hope you have the time
to take pics of the sequence.  Some of us don't visualize this casting stuff as well as others.  "Some of us"
meaning, Me.

Dean

Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 07:25:23 PM »
Oh my  :bow:

That's gonna be very cool!

Good job so far Rob!

Gotta get over to the U.K.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 04:53:54 PM »
Hi Lads

Thanks Eric ,  :thumbup: your more than welcome

Hi Dean ,, I will post up all the steps in the moulding and casting process , plenty photos ,few words   :lol: this build could turn into a long post .

Tonight work , the pattern is just about finished , it still needs the lettering done , filleting,and a coat of paint , about a good nights work still left in it.

I must put an M&M in the shot for scale  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Then i had a brain fart ,,,,,,,, will the core fit in the oven  :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: nope ,,,,,,,,, :bang: ,,,,,,,,,, looks like plan B ,,,,,,,, i will have to get some sodium silicate to use as a core binder .

Cheers Rob  

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 05:11:31 PM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline Artie

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 05:52:33 PM »
And so the story continues.... sodium silicate? Is that the co2 activated liquid?

The oven misfit reminds me of a guy in Sydney many years ago... made the evening news..... spent a decade building a yacht in his back yard, by the time he went to remove it the neighbourhood had been all built up including hi tension power lines outside his block..... cranes cant get it out....still sits in his back yard... made it into a granny flat...... :(

More pics? Looking great bloke!

Rob T

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 02:44:18 AM »
Rob another way would be to stack 4 casting boxes one on top of the other, the middle two would have to be exact height of the pattern you could then pull each pattern from the mould and save making a core. Though it may not pour so easily on its side

Looks good though.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 03:07:55 AM »
Hi Lads

Cheers Rob .T ,,,,,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have the same problem now i have extended my workshop ,,,,,,,, :bang: IF big IF i finish my 4" Tasker Tractor i cant get it out the garden  :lol: :lol: :lol:      Yep thats the stuff  goes of with CO2 . :thumbup:

Hi Jason ,,,,,,,, I had thought of using CHEEKS ,,,,,,,,,, boxes that go between the cope and drag , but opted for coring ,,,, I may get away with a green sand core ,as they are fairly large ,, The only way to pore this is on its side  , fingers crossed

Cheers Rob
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 11:58:38 AM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 07:13:16 AM »
Hi Rob, that's looking like a fine set of patterns and cores, I'm really looking forward to the shots of the ramming of the patterns and the horizontal pour.  I hope you have the camera and practice to do a video of the pouring, that'd be nice to see, you've obviously made a pattern or two before, and I'm still working out how you're going to use what you have to ram up a mold.  That idea of cheek boxes didn't sound bad, and it was something I could see in my mind.  Great work and nice pictures, looking forward,  :thumbup: mad jack