Author Topic: Hello, from a Kiwi in the US  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Sorekiwi

Hello, from a Kiwi in the US
« on: May 13, 2010, 10:38:45 PM »
Hi Guys,

I found this site a few days ago, and have been lurking and reading.  Some very nice work is being shown on this site, and the "how-to" information is great!

I have been an automotive mechanic for 25 odd years, doing my apprenticeship in my native New Zealand.  18 years ago I travelled to Europe to work on racing cars, and after a couple of years in Austria and Germany I came to the US to do the same thing. 

In the beginning, the travel and the new places was the best part of the job, after 15 years or so of airports and hotel rooms, it became the worst part of the job.  These days I am working for a place that restores Rolls Royce Silver Ghosts, and manufactures parts that are sold all over the world.

I'm a hack machinist, I can usually make the bit I need within a thou or two of what its supposed to be!  But I'm keen to learn more.  I have a 7x14 mini lathe at home, and a mini-mill as well.  My other interest is Wheel Horse Garden tractors of the sixties, so the small machines are capable of making the odd bushing or shaft that I might need in the restoration of these.

I'm looking forward to reading and learning from from you fine folks!
Mike, expat Kiwi in NE Ohio, USA

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Hello, from a Kiwi in the US
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:12:05 PM »
Hiya sorekiwi!  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

I have a buddy that works for a race team... he ends up traveling all over North America. He works for a team in the Rolex sports car series (specifically the prototype class). Got to tour the former owners private museum, a lot of nice cars.

The Silver Ghost is a beautiful car!

What is a wheel horse garden tractor? got pics?

I am sure you will learn a lot here!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 02:03:26 AM »
Hi there :wave: Welcome to the club, pull up a chair and join in.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 02:25:35 AM »
Hi Sorekiwi,

Welcome to the collective!  :borg:

I too have mini lathe & mill. Both, adequate for my needs.  :thumbup:

Join in. Show pics of what you do.....

Enjoy!

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 08:27:55 AM »
Hi Sorekiwi, welcome to the collective.  :thumbup:

I have a Wheel Horse fram that I want to put a 10hp engine on it. But like all my intentions I got side lined for other projects.

Eric, a Wheel Horse is the name of a garden tractor variety like Jon Deer and Cub Cadet.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 09:13:23 AM »
Hello SoreKiwi

I am too a transplant to this fare nation originally from the UK.  I envy your job, one of the best looking and engineered cars in the world is the Silver Ghost, next to the E-Type.

This is more a question than a comment, I bet there is a healthy living to be made in manufacturing parts for rollers!.

Welcome to our establishment sir.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Sorekiwi

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 09:23:04 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

The old Rolls Royces are quite the learning curve.  The companies website is here for anyone thats interested:  http://www.ghostparts.com/index.htm.
The machineshop is always backed up - doing everything from making batches of bolts (try buying a square headed, whitworth bolt in the US!!) to machining new cylinder block castings.

Damn machineshop is always so busy that its hard to find an empty machine to slip that "government work" project onto!

I was trying to find some pictures of some of the stuff I've made at home, but I am having trouble finding a complete project.  Seems that most of the stuff I end up doing is just a little doo-dad that is part of something else.  But (if it works!!) I did find a picture of my mini-mill with a few modifications - namely a gear-motor power feed on the left end of the table, a microscope flourescent ring light around the spindle and a Schumatech DRO.

If this post works, I'll do another one with a tractor picture or two...

Mike

Mike, expat Kiwi in NE Ohio, USA