Author Topic: Got a new Toy  (Read 12990 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Got a new Toy
« on: April 22, 2010, 06:27:36 PM »
Picked up my brandy spanking new Miller Spectrum® 375 X-TREME™ plasma cutter. Already gave it a try. WOW

What do I plan to do with it besides cut thin gage steel? Hopefuly next year I'll have enough money saved up to buy a CNC plasma cutting table. Size to be 4 X 4 feet. I also want to do routing and engraving on it.

Here's a link to the plasma cutter and Miller's web site. http://www.millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_375_x-treme/

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Got a new Toy
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:36:33 PM »
WOW! Nice move, I look forward to some pics and I am excited about the prospect of the CNC table build ! :dremel:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:14:12 PM »
Bernd

Glad to see that you finally got it. Now that you have it what projects have you in mind to use it on? When you get it unpacked and running don't forget to fire up the camera or you know what you will get.  :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 09:27:14 AM »
WOW! Nice move, I look forward to some pics and I am excited about the prospect of the CNC table build ! :dremel:

The though has crossed my mind of building one, but would be faster to buy. Plus all the figuring out of what size motors and drive boards is done already with the guarantee that it will work the first time around.

I am tinkering with the idea of building one of these thought: http://widgitmaster.com/mini.htm

Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 09:44:37 AM »
Bernd

Glad to see that you finally got it. Now that you have it what projects have you in mind to use it on? When you get it unpacked and running don't forget to fire up the camera or you know what you will get.  :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Ya well I had to save up my pennies first.  :lol:  Hopefully next year I'll have enough pennies to buy a CNC table to mount the plasma cutter. The dealer I bought my plasma cutter from is going to offer the PlasmaCam system. Here's the website for PlasmaCam: http://www.plasmacam.com/indexfla.php    Here's another site I've looked at to. Torch Mate: http://www.torchmate.com/

The best part about one of these is that you can also mount a laminate router and do wood carvings, make signs, both in wood and metal. You can also use the table to rout aluminum or engrave it. I know a guy who would like to have motor plates engraved for the front engine mounts for the drag cars he builds.

I plan on slowly getting a shop together to do some sheet metal work. If you go to the Plasma Cam's site you'll notice that out door furniturre, such as tables are popular. Along with this set up I plan on trying powder coating and aluminum anodizing. Already have the powder coating gun, just have to build an oven to bake the parts in. Still need to get all the stuff to anodize yet.

So those are the plans for when I finally get the house done and will be "offically" (   :lol:  ) retired from doing any kind of work.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  I plan on keeping a build log or how I did log on here. So no worry of not getting pics. Just going to take a bit of time.

Bernd

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 10:58:43 AM »
Nice one Bernd, I'd love a plasma cutter ....  :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 04:13:25 PM »
Darren,

What's something like that go for in the UK? The 375 cost $1195 + 95.60 tax for a total of $1290.60.

I was looking a their web site today and I see they have a list price of $1500.  :bugeye:

I played with it today for a bit. Cut the top off a water tank that I want to use for an aluminum foundry. Then I cut some aluminum. I was surprised at how smooth the cut in aluminum was.

I've already found two tools I need to make for it. One is a circle cutting tool and a tool that keeps the tip about 1/8" above the cutting surface.

Bernd

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 04:53:11 AM »
I'm not sure how much they cost here Bernd, here's a different make just need to learn how to compare the spec's :scratch:

Sure look a handy tool though  :dremel:

http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/welding_equipment/Plasma_Cutter
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 05:18:59 AM »
I'd often thought about mounting the torch on a heavy piece of box section about 4' long mounted to the bed of the CNC mill and having a cutting frame at the side.

Bolt the plasma torch to the end of the box section and run the CNC mill.

Best of both worlds but don't know if the plasma would affect the CNC's electronics. My plasma is a big 440 volt beast and old technology even though it's nearly brand new.

John Stevenson

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 08:47:30 AM »
I'm not sure how much they cost here Bernd, here's a different make just need to learn how to compare the spec's :scratch:

Darren,

That would be equal to this model of the Miller plasma cutter.  http://www.millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_125c/

What to look for is the duty cycle and how many amps it puts out. You also have to size it to the thickness of metal you think you're going to try and cut.

Bernd

Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 08:49:20 AM »

Best of both worlds but don't know if the plasma would affect the CNC's electronics. My plasma is a big 440 volt beast and old technology even though it's nearly brand new.

John,

If it has a High Frequency starting circuit then it would play havoc with the CNC on your mill. But a nice idea anyway.

Bernd

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 05:19:43 PM »

Darren,

That would be equal to this model of the Miller plasma cutter.  http://www.millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_125c/

Bernd

Bernd

No way that thing is a toy.
For a start it's 110 volt input, we don't have 110 volt here.
The one Darren linked to cuts 8mm clean or 12mm rough that's 5/16" and a gnats cod off 1/2" at 35% duty cycle.

The little Spectrum 125C is 35% at 3/16" or 5mm

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 07:40:53 PM »
I have to admit being able to cut 8 or even 12mm in easy or difficult places and shapes does sound interesting.

One day i would like one of those as it would really open doors in what could be done with ease ....  :dremel:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 05:11:06 AM »

John,

If it has a High Frequency starting circuit then it would play havoc with the CNC on your mill. But a nice idea anyway.

Bernd

So how do CNC plasma cutters work ? Same drive electronics

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 08:38:54 AM »
I'm not up on the electronics. Probably should study the schematics that came with the cutter.

Bascially it's nothing more than an electrical arc, such as a Jacobs Ladder, with air blowing it out the end of the tool. Kind of like an oxy/act gas.

Need to study it more before I can answer that technically.

Bernd

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 08:34:53 AM »
Umm, after watching some vids using one of these cutters makes them look indispensable for fabbing work.

If your cutter can cope with 12mm thick steel and you want to cut 20mm, can you just take two passes?
Or maybe cut from both sides?

Or does the air have to blow through?

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 09:02:14 AM »
Umm, after watching some vids using one of these cutters makes them look indispensable for fabbing work.

If your cutter can cope with 12mm thick steel and you want to cut 20mm, can you just take two passes?
Or maybe cut from both sides?

Or does the air have to blow through?

Yes they are great tools for fabing. You can just about cut any shape of material you want as long as it's not to thick for the cutter to handle.

I'm trying to think of this in inches. I have already tried to cut some heavier material at a full setting. It would only cut down so far. The idea of taking two cuts one from one side one from the other never occured to me, but could be done if the cut was a straight line. Cutting curved lines would be a little more difficult. They do have a cut called "sever" which is the extreme cut thinkness of the plasma cutter. You have to remember that you should size the plasma cutter to what you think or know what will be the thickest metal you will ever cut. Same as holds true for a lathe or mill should be big enough for the job you will do on it.

The ideal cut would be that the air blows all they way through or you'll get a ragged edge.

Bernd

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 12:33:31 AM »
Cool get on the Extreme!

Your gonna love it.  That thing will do more than you think.  I know I have pretty much put my cutting heads in long term storage since I got my little ThermalDyne unit.  

One thing to remember though is that a plasma cut is not "weld ready".  Though clean appearing the plasma gas causes the formation of a glass like oxide on the molten edge that needs to be wire brushed off.  Not a big deal, a quick pass with a 4 1/2" grinder and a cup brush or knot brush and you're gold.

I about forgot to mention this neat circle cutter one of the guys over on Welding web whipped up for his plasma.  Simple, repetitive, and about as inexpensive as they come.

The full details can be found here:http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=25351&page=10
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:43:31 AM by Rog02 »
Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 09:52:16 AM »
Rog,

Thanks for adding that tip in with this thread. Much appreciated.

Miller sells a circle cutter and a device that keeps the plasma head 1/8" above the cutting surface. But you know how a Mad Modder feels about buying items like that when they can be made in the home shop.  ::)

As soon as the weather gets better and I can get out into the garage and get some cutting done I'll need to make up these little devices, so stay tuned.

Bernd

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 01:37:36 PM »
If the guide you are talking about is the same as the one I am thinking about :scratch:.  I have one I made several years ago that I copied off of one that I saw in someone else tool bag (weldor's version of R&D [rip off and duplicate]). 

Just make a plate with a hole for the tip and mount a couple of bolts that act as axles for the cutter of small pipe cutters.  Dull cutter disc work fine and are cheap.  The fine edge on the disc roll through slag well and the hardened steel doesn't collect dingleberries.

Actually for the gas axe version I made a sleeve that the tip sets in and can adjust the tip to surface gap from contact to about 1/2" by where I tighten the set screw that holds it to the torch tip.  Makes long continuous cuts much easier.
Roger

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 09:56:32 AM »
Rog,

Thanks. I like your ideas. Never thought about the pipe cut off wheels. Ya. :nrocks:  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb: :nrocks:

Bernd

And I own you a  :beer:

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 12:53:31 PM »
Hey Bernd?

Until you can get all those pesky little electrons flowing on the CNC table here is a build thread on an old fashion pantograph.

I have one that I knocked off a couple of decades ago for burning stuff like gussets and tabs.  They make a cheap viable method for those pesky little repetitive things that eat up a lot of time in a fab shop.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=41039
Roger

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 04:45:33 PM »
Rog,

Thanks for the link.  :ddb:

That's a pretty big pantograph. Great way of making things bigger or smaller. Neat idea to use it with a plasma cutter.

Bernd

Offline johnny123

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 10:41:04 PM »
Plasma Cutter :bow: