Author Topic: Newbie Here  (Read 3310 times)

Offline jclem40c

Newbie Here
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:40:56 PM »
Hi folks,
Stumbled on this site while on Home Shop Machinist site. Im new to machining so bear with me
please. Retired last year and needed a hobby. Played at machining many moons ago in high school.
No, not a one room school house. was a small engine mech for many years, worked in manufacturing
and then as a supervisor for a highway dept. Now I just play in the shop and now and then do whatever
SWMBO asks so I can eat and live inside, you know how that goes. Got a 9" south bend, a 13" sheldon
a burke mill and a boyer-shults surface grinder, al stuffed into a 12x24 shed. I suppose Ill just lurk
for a while till I feel comfy before posting.

John in New York, USA

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Newbie Here
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 11:42:24 PM »
Hi John  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Where abouts in NY? A few us are in NY (NJ myself though I work in NYC). Sounds like you got some good machines in your shed (shed? it is the size of garage!) What do you build? No need to just lurk... join in. Ask questions. Make comments!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:10:59 AM »
John

Welcome to MadModder John. We are glad that you came to have a look see. I think that you will like what you find. If you have any questions, just ask as there is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion. It sounds like you have some nice equipment and a fair size shed to work in. If you get the chance perhaps you could post up a few pictures of you shop and some of your projects as I know the members love to see other members work and shops.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:15:42 AM »
Hi John,

Welcome to the collective!  :borg:

Ask your questions...... You`ll get lots of answers..... All different!        Engineering`s a funny old game!  :D

Join in. Post pics........ ENJOY!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:17:42 AM »
Hi John, from another New Yorker. South of Rochester to be more presice.

As Eric said, nice collection of tools.

I suppose Ill just lurk for a while till I feel comfy before posting.

Hey, no problem. When ever you feel comfy. So tomorrow will do then right?  :lol:

Oh ya! Welcome to the collective by the way.  :borg:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 10:13:04 AM »
Hi there, welcome to  the club :borg:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline jclem40c

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 10:55:25 PM »
Folks,
thanks for the warm welcome. I actually live in Liberty, NY about 90 miles north of the city. As for what
I make in the shop usually a lot of chips and such and now and again some parts for my 1955 John Deere 40
crawler or parts for my 2 old farm tractors. I'm starting to put togeather some pieces for a jib crane
in the shop so I don't have to lift big stuff any more. Am also taking a machining course at the local
BOCES tech school nites to learn to run all this stuff. Piled in the shop with the lathes and
mill and grinder I have a power hacksaw, Clarke 4x6 bandsaw, Clarke 3in1 shear, brake, roll,
parts washer,mig and stick welders,torches, 2 6 foot high tool boxes and a pressure sand blaster.
Out side under an overhang lives my 1940s 5hp 80 gal air compresser which is piped through out
the shop. I gotta talk real sweet to SWMBO and get her to teach me how to post pictures for you folks.

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 09:35:52 AM »
Just did a quick map google. Looks like it's out in the country a bit. Have been by there many years ago on Rt. 17.

If the SWMBO doesn't help we'll be here to guide you. I have all my pictures posted via my own website. Photo Bucket seems to be a well liked host by some members. May want to look in on that. There are others. A search on one of the search engines will get you to the other ones. In the mean time you can post pictures by clicking on "Additional Options and attaching a picture there. Please be sure your picture is no larger than 480 X 640 pixels though.

Any questions just ask.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 09:44:49 AM »
... I gotta talk real sweet to SWMBO and get her to teach me how to post pictures for you folks.

John

John,

Our own Ralph (divided he ad) did a fantastic write up on how to post pictures. You can find the post by clicking HERE.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.