Author Topic: QCTP Tool Holders Shaper Work  (Read 15522 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
QCTP Tool Holders Shaper Work
« on: April 08, 2010, 07:25:42 PM »

Well I thought it was about time I had a go with my new shaper .... So what can I make ... I know, some more QCTP holders  :)

After spending some time fiddling with the electrics on the machine I didn't get as far as I'd hoped this evening, but here it is so far ....

A bit of scrap to make the holders from. Notice one edge has been flame cut, quite a mess it is too. Not wishing to put a milling cutter near this metal is what made me decide to use the shaper  ::)

It's approx 14" long

That's the worst edge done

Lovely how it just peals the crud off ....  :)

All sides done, now for a long slot ....

Well that's it for now .....  :ddb:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 07:27:48 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
Re: QCTP Tool Holders Shaper Work
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 11:11:23 PM »
That was one rough cob of a work piece, Darren.  That shaper is a miracle machine.  Saved you a small fortune in milling cutters!
Nice.

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline websterz

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 11:19:26 PM »
That was one rough cob of a work piece, Darren.  That shaper is a miracle machine.  Saved you a small fortune in milling cutters!
Nice.

Dean

I have GOT to get me one of those! Why must they be so scarce in my area. I paid $375 for a #$%^ surface grinder for Pete's sake and I can't find a shaper for under 2 grand!  :doh:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 08:19:15 AM »
Darren, if I can say it without sounding like an old codger proud of my experience, a shaper becomes more valuable as you learn its capacities, it's special attributes and the things it does better than anything else, and its little bubaboos, the little niggling things you have to always stay on top of.  I've only had one for twelve or fifteen years, and it's only a small Atlas, but there are lots of jobs, especially with the scrap pile being the primary source of working stock, where the shaper is the cheapest easiest cutting tool you can use.  On top of all that, you can set work in it, and get mesmerised just watching it shave off its chips, fling them out at high speed, and watch the smoke curl off the hot chip and the work.  I'm glad to see a thread with a shaper playing its part in it. Mad Jack :thumbup:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 05:32:36 AM »
Hi Darren

Great to see you have the shaper up and running  :clap: :clap: :clap: , and what a good project to show what a shaper is capeable of  :dremel:  , looking forward to seeing more  :thumbup:

Regards Rob

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 08:39:05 AM »

Well I thought it was about time I had a go with my new shaper .... So what can I make ... I know, some more QCTP holders  :)

After spending some time fiddling with the electrics on the machine I didn't get as far as I'd hoped this evening, but here it is so far ....

A bit of scrap to make the holders from. Notice one edge has been flame cut, quite a mess it is too. Not wishing to put a milling cutter near this metal is what made me decide to use the shaper  ::)

It's approx 14" long

That's the worst edge done

Lovely how it just peals the crud off ....  :)

All sides done, now for a long slot ....

Well that's it for now .....  :ddb:
Having a special place in my heart for shapers, do you think you could put up a couple pictures that show the whole shaper, and give us an idea of size and shape of the beastie?  It would do my own heart good :beer:mad jack

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 08:49:51 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys  :thumbup:

After cutting the main bulk out of the long slot the next task was to cut the dovetails. Toolpost fitted to check the size. A lot of people go to some extremes to get the size of the dovetail correct, using gauges and pins for example. I find that just cutting, trial fitting and cutting some more until it fits works just fine.

The strip was then cut into sections on the bandsaw, deliberately making different sizes in pairs. Back onto the shaper for a clean-up.

Ouch ! That's a nasty "flame" cut  :lol: Not wishing to waste any material we'll let Dr Shaper have a look at it ....  :)

There, that's better  ::)

I have slotted two holders for different sizes of HSS. The rest I shall do as and when depending on what I wish to fit.
I may try an angled slot to give positive back rake without grinding. Might as well give it a go.

Any other ideas anyone?

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 08:53:12 AM »
Here you go Jack, you'll find plenty of pictures here  :thumbup:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2932.0

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 11:59:15 AM »
Hi Darren,  beautiful work on those tool holders, I was just reading a thread on making a tangential tool holder for the quick change post, and am considering doing one myself, since I use a tangential tool holder held in a holder for QC, and could use the extra room taken up by having to hold a tool holder in a tool holder.  And people say shapers are obsolete!  I wouldn't want to have a shop without one.  Nice job, and good looking tools.   :thumbup: mad jack

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 08:07:35 PM »
I think I know what machine I'm buying next  :thumbup: Thanks for sharing, that's some journey for that poor piece of steel... with my workshop being right next door to a welding firm, there's lots of flame-cut and plasma-cut steel scraps about the place; I did try milling some plasma-cut metal once, but it just clonked about in the vice & broke a cutter...

:nrocks:

Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 06:32:25 AM »
Hi Darren  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

they came out really nice mate  :clap: :clap: :clap:  , its great when you can see something in an old rusty lump of steel  :thumbup:

Regards Rob

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 09:45:19 AM »
Thanks Guys  :nrocks:

A little update for your pleasure. Finished off two of the holders and made some extra thumbscrews for the rest +1

One holder has bolts and the other grubscrews ... just in case uwereawonderin  :ddb:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:48:43 AM by Darren »

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »
All very nicely done, Darren.  Great job!

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 02:24:32 AM »
All beautiful work Darren..... As usual!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 05:00:42 AM »
Thanks Guys, I think that'll fill my needs for that smaller QCTP which I'll probably reserve for the smaller HSS toolsbits.

I'd like to have a go at making holders for my other larger QCTP but that is a much more complicated affair. I'll need jigs and the dividing head mounted on the shaper. It might be more than I can chew just yet so we'll have to wait and see.
One thing for sure is that only the shaper could make these, the mill would be a "dead duck" as they say  :)

I think I know what machine I'm buying next  :thumbup: Thanks for sharing, that's some journey for that poor piece of steel... with my workshop being right next door to a welding firm, there's lots of flame-cut and plasma-cut steel scraps about the place; I did try milling some plasma-cut metal once, but it just clonked about in the vice & broke a cutter...

I tried that once too ... that's why I wasn't going to have another go on the miller  :lol:

You can be rest assured that no delicate (expensive) milling cutters were harmed during this production and the wild population count has been unaffected  :lol:

Some time ago I priced up a dovetail cutter for the mill and seeing how easily they are ruined I have to say I sharn't be going there. Not for steel anyways.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 05:05:26 AM »
If anyone is interested here's the post from some time ago about making the post for the QCTP ...

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=908.0

Offline websterz

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 07:59:46 AM »
Thanks Guys, I think that'll fill my needs for that smaller QCTP which I'll probably reserve for the smaller HSS toolsbits.

I'd like to have a go at making holders for my other larger QCTP but that is a much more complicated affair. I'll need jigs and the dividing head mounted on the shaper. It might be more than I can chew just yet so we'll have to wait and see.
One thing for sure is that only the shaper could make these, the mill would be a "dead duck" as they say  :)

I tried that once too ... that's why I wasn't going to have another go on the miller  :lol:

You can be rest assured that no delicate (expensive) milling cutters were harmed during this production and the wild population count has been unaffected  :lol:

Some time ago I priced up a dovetail cutter for the mill and seeing how easily they are ruined I have to say I sharn't be going there. Not for steel anyways.

You mean you haven't made a dovetail cutter that takes carbide inserts yet?  :doh:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 11:14:17 AM »

You mean you haven't made a dovetail cutter that takes carbide inserts yet?  :doh:

Yes I have made one, it broke taking its first cut  :doh:

Offline Shepherduke

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 05:22:47 AM »
Lovely piece of work Darren, I am very envious! ATB Kevin

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 01:43:41 PM »
Thanks Kevin, it's a pleasure to show the old girls tricks.

Hopefully I'll be putting together a post machining something complicated on the shaper that I'd love to see someone try on a mill.
If it pulls off the shaper will have paid for itself several times over by the time the jobs done  :D

Later  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:21:37 PM by Darren »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 10:25:03 PM »
Sorry I am late... that is a slick looking QCTP you made there Darren!

Like the looks of it. Good machining!  :clap:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.