Author Topic: Boring QCTP base  (Read 4810 times)

Offline Xldevil

Boring QCTP base
« on: March 22, 2010, 03:15:25 AM »
Hello.
The hole in the base of the Dixon type QCTP I ordered from Chronos(actually it is made by Soba) is not quite 0.02mm too small,means the top slideīs tool post stud is 7/16" or 11.1125mm and the hole is 11mm.
Now that the steel of the base is hardened,can I bore it with an indexable boring bar and a CCMT tip?
I donīt want to turn down the stud,which isnīt hardened.I have another tool post in use which fits well.
Regards,Ralph

Offline websterz

Re: Boring QCTP base
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:31:58 AM »
Hello.
The hole in the base of the Dixon type QCTP I ordered from Chronos(actually it is made by Soba) is not quite 0.02mm too small,means the top slideīs tool post stud is 7/16" or 11.1125mm and the hole is 11mm.
Now that the steel of the base is hardened,can I bore it with an indexable boring bar and a CCMT tip?
I donīt want to turn down the stud,which isnīt hardened.I have another tool post in use which fits well.
Regards,Ralph

You should be able to open it up with an inserted bar. There's not much material there to remove. If nothing else a Dremel with a fine grit stone will work.  :dremel:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:17:41 AM »
Will it matter too much if you turn the stud down by 0.02mm, so that your other toolpost is a slighly looser fit on it? When a toolpost is clamped down, it is the friction between its underside and the surface of the topslide which prevents it rotating while you are cutting, not the fit of the toolpost on the stud.

Emery paper would do the job, and would avoid having to set the stud to run exactly true, or having to find a bolt to hold the toolpost down while the stud is in the chuck.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Davo J

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 07:14:11 AM »
Hi Ralph,
I have a Dickson as well, only a bit bigger model. One thing with boring it is, you might go through the case hardening, it might not matter, but I just thought it was something to think about. The stud would only have to go down 0.05625 either side, which shouldn't bother the thread.
Davo

Offline Xldevil

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 04:58:59 PM »
Hi.
Thank you all for the thoughts.
To turn down the stud that trifle seems to be the better option now.
Cheers,Ralph

Offline gldwight

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 12:52:03 AM »
OR turn another stud out of good steel, then temper it is another option.