Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

Difficulty in drawing...

(1/2) > >>

Divided he ad:
Well ok, drawbaring I suppose (Yer it's a word!?  :scratch: )

I just got this new mill you see, and well it's got a stupid drawbar with this odd 3/8 16tpi thread on the end of it!

Well, I'm certainly not going to but all my MT3 tooling again! it's all in M12x1.75 thread.

So I figured I'm make a drawbar.... Shouldn't be too hard? Unless you have nothing suitable to make it from!  :bang:

So, I thought up a plan.... This might not work, so in a day or so this post will revert to making a new drawbar after all? But this is what I did instead....

There was an odd drawbar in the bits I got, far too long for this mill, it almost came out the bottom of the spindle. It probably fits something but.... Needs must! (I can always replace it!?)

I cut it's thread off and made a new one to M8x1.25

Then  made a M12x1.75 thread on a bright mild steel bar (better quality than the drawbar too!)

I drilled and tapped it M8x1.25 and made an 8.5mm relief in it.

Then altered the drawbar to fit the thread and relief I had made.

And finally, threadlocked the one onto the other, held the blank in the vice and tightened using it's own hex. cut it off and trimmed/finished off the new thread.

And I've still got the original drawbar that came with it that fits the drill chuck that was in it too :thumbup:

Now I'm just leaving it to set while I tell you guys about it  :) 

Tell you if it works tomorrow!

Ralph.

sbwhart:
That should work ralph the wort or worst even  :lol: that can happen is the two bits come unscrewed.

Stew

Divided he ad:
That was my theory Stew  :thumbup: 

Ralph.

CrewCab:
Keep it simple, I like it  :headbang:

CC

AdeV:
Nice work Ralph - but one question, why didn't you just cut the M12x1.75 thread into the drawbar? 

:smart:

Aaaah, unless the replacement drawbar was already too thin? In which case, nice work * 2 - good piece of lateral thinking there  :thumbup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version