Author Topic: Indexable tools  (Read 7136 times)

Offline zeroaxe

Indexable tools
« on: March 15, 2010, 05:46:29 PM »
Well, when I ordered my lathe, I also took a set of cutting/turning tools. But sad t osay, I have learned an expensive lesson. They are ruined. Let me tell you why.

I want to make a ball tool post/cutter. And for the base, at work I cut a disc out of 15mm steel on CNC plasma cutter. I then took this said disc, and tried turning it on the lathe. Big no-no. It fuzzed up my tools(carbide brazed tips) big time. Yes, I was dumb enough to try with more than one tool :shock: I tried sharpening them on my grinder, but as you would know, it just 'ate away' at the grinding wheel!! So I thought I might have a brilliant idea.... And tried grinding it on the diamond disc I have here.... Only problem being that it is a diamond tile cutting disc, and I ended up chipping the tips!!!

So, I have been thinking of indexable tools. What is the general concensus on this set for a beginner-turner?

The seller is "pinvice" on eBay(with a 100% feedback). The reason for getting the tools from the UK, is like most things, in France it is just more expensive.

Any help/input?

Thanks in advance,
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:48:15 PM by zeroaxe »
So much to learn, so little time - Author Unknown

Offline boatmadman

• Located in Barrow in Furness, South Cumbria
Re: Indexable tools
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 06:42:02 PM »
Hi,

Pinvice is the ebay name for Chronos, a well known (in uk) tool seller. website here:

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/

I have bought from both these sources with no problems at all.

I also have a set of those indexable tools, they are ok for me, but I only have a small lathe and consequently only do small jobs.

Ian
If it works, take it apart and find out why!

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 06:54:38 PM »
I also have a similar set from Chronos (mine came in a plastic box, though).
I use them all the time on my 7x12 lathe. I've used them on stainless steel a few times, and titanium once.

I now only use brazed-on tipped tools for threading, and on the rare occasion where I need a sharp corner.

The big advantage is they all use the same insert.  That means if you run out of tips on one tool, you can grab an insert from another while you wait for a new one to come.

The only problem I have with Chronos is they have too many wonderful toys, and I don't have enough money to buy them all!  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:57:17 PM by No1_sonuk »

Offline zeroaxe

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 07:40:23 PM »
Thanks for the 2 replies. So if I understand you guys right, I wont go wrong getting a set? What ruined the other tools, is that because if the immense heat from the plasma cutter, the steel became as tough as nails, and just completely fuzzed the tools :( And now I am kinda blocked getting on with my project :doh:

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:59:59 PM »
If you think about it, each one of those tools has 3 tip, so you've got 15 tips to wreck before you need new ones.  :D

While I don't know how to do it, have you tried annealing the material to soften it again?

Offline websterz

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 08:07:15 PM »
If you think about it, each one of those tools has 3 tip, so you've got 15 tips to wreck before you need new ones.  :D

While I don't know how to do it, have you tried annealing the material to soften it again?

Heat it red and let it cool slowly. If you have a wood stove or fireplace bury it in hot coals and leave it overnight.
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 08:24:33 PM »
I'm guessing that the plasma cutting hardened the edge of the material as well as making a rough-ish edge that resulted in an interrupted cut for the lathe tools. Not an ideal combination for carbide of any type.

Like others have said you could try annealing the metal before you try cutting it. You could also try using HSS tooling on the rough edge before using the carbide.

Some people like using HSS and some like carbide. Both have their place but I use carbide 99% of the time. It's mostly a preference thing.  Carbide is hard and hard things chip easily. HSS is not quite as hard and will take more abuse such as with interrupted cuts. There are other considerations to take into account also.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 03:42:56 AM »
Given the machine that you have I would stick with HSS or brazed tip tools, the amount of flex combined with indexable tools didlike of taking fine cuts will make it hard to take small cuts or do fine work.

And as I said on CXhesters, a green grit wheel will sharpen your old bits

Jason

Offline zeroaxe

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 04:40:07 AM »

Heat it red and let it cool slowly. If you have a wood stove or fireplace bury it in hot coals and leave it overnight.

No1_sonuk, You are right. I at least have a few more chances if my clumsyness gets the better of me again! And I can make sure that I got a few more in stock too :D

websterz, I didnt think of doing that. I thought that eventually I will 'cut through' the tempered part but I was wrong! My tool was fuzzed way before I got to that point. And in retrospect, I can only kick myself. You see, I am currently reading through the book "Workshop Technology Part 1" by W.A.J. Chapman, and in the first two chapters, he discusses steel/iron. Effects of heating steel, Reasons for heat treating steel, annealing, Normalising, hardening and tempering etc..... and if I only spared a moment for these two brain cells of mine to work together and think for once, I could've avoided my own frustration!!! :bang: And as you suggest, I could heat up it and bury it in hot coals/sand and let it cool slowly overnight.

I'm guessing that the plasma cutting hardened the edge of the material as well as making a rough-ish edge that resulted in an interrupted cut for the lathe tools. Not an ideal combination for carbide of any type.

Like others have said you could try annealing the metal before you try cutting it. You could also try using HSS tooling on the rough edge before using the carbide.

Some people like using HSS and some like carbide. Both have their place but I use carbide 99% of the time. It's mostly a preference thing.  Carbide is hard and hard things chip easily. HSS is not quite as hard and will take more abuse such as with interrupted cuts. There are other considerations to take into account also.

Darren, you are right one the money! I had intermittent cuts on the disc and the edge was hardened way beyond the carbide tool's capacity to cut :doh: So I am going to give the annealing a defenite try!

A also want to start building up a bit more of a versatile tool collection. I am considering these tools mentioned above and also some HSS tools.

Given the machine that you have I would stick with HSS or brazed tip tools, the amount of flex combined with indexable tools didlike of taking fine cuts will make it hard to take small cuts or do fine work.

And as I said on CXhesters, a green grit wheel will sharpen your old bits

Jason

Yes, thank you. I have seen your response on the other forum and replied. I dont like cross-posting. But considering how quiet the other forum can be, I thought of posting here were there is a bigger collective in giving advice. On my particular machine, the 'included' vice on the cross slide is actually becoming a bit of a hassle. It gets in the way if you know what I mean? But If I get rid of the vice, I also loose the current fine feed for the tool post. Anyway, that is for another thread... I am also trying to find a green grit wheel locally, but here in France 'specialized tools' can simply not be found in the DIY shops. Too much hassle for them I suppose. So I have to go and hunt on the internet for something as simple as a green grit wheel and then end up paying extra shipping costs :bang:

O yes! And thanks for the link to the diamond tool, I am going to order one!!! :headbang:

Thanks all for the help/advice so far. I still have a long way to go and learn...