Author Topic: Slowly casting up parts for a steam twin marine engine  (Read 70939 times)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Slowly casting up parts for a steam twin marine engine
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2010, 02:33:44 AM »
Can't see anything wrong with that Rob......  :scratch:

Blummin well done!  :clap: :clap:  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2010, 11:03:24 AM »
Looks pretty good from Here. If you are like me you are your own worst critic! Take it easy on yourself!!!

On large thin sections like that a friend of mine would use "caplets" (Spelin) They are thin aluminum spacers that are placed inside the mold cavity when you reassemble the cope and drag before you pore. They help hold the cavity apart and they partially melt because they are so thin.  Just an idea:o)

Thanks for sharing, Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2010, 03:34:34 PM »
Hi Stew Davo and Wes, I guess Ive been on this project for a long time and I have remade several bits due to being my own worste critic...

This thing is due ot be painted so I can live with it.... but thanks for the encouragement...  :beer:

Wes, Im certain there are ways... and even though Ive been doing this a long time I am inexperienced (in commercial terms) so Im going to research caplets..... maybe I can get a better result... ow shut up Artie and get on with it.... :doh:  :bang:  :zap:

More soon..

Cheers

Rob
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2010, 04:32:23 PM »
Nice one Rob  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: turned out great  :thumbup:

looking forward to seeing  all the engine parts fitted  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

You had a much better out come than i had today  :doh:  .

Rob  :D

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2010, 05:38:44 PM »
That looks pretty darn good to me Artie/Rob.  Nearly big enough to be a griddle. 
You know, between you two Robs, a guy can learn a lot just from visiting this one forum. 
A question from a fellow who doesn't know casting;  When you pour something long and flat
like this base piece, is it more likely to cool too fast on one end before the molten metal
gets a chance to flow into the whole cavity of the mold?

Thanks again for your pics and efforts here!
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline Artie

« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Rob, its good to see you are human as well! :) :)

Dean, that IS the main issue and to cater for that I get the pour pretty hot, almost to the point where you can see the zinc start to burn off, (white-ish smoke and residue coming off the melt...), then you get it into the flask fast and have lots of risers cause at that temp you are likley to get sink back, which I did... a pic attached...

I was watching the big riser sink thinking "dont go all the way to the floor....dont..." ..( it didnt..)...

Rob

Offline Artie

« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2010, 05:32:48 AM »
Today I used the flycutter to flatten and pretty the working surfaces... firstly the back of the plate....Johns boot and all...

And the mounting surface....

I added a little putty to a couple of spots.. those areas Ive already discussed as not pleasing me greatly....

and roughly how it will sit... boiler will be up so its top is just under the crank centre line.

No real inclusions to speak of, a good solid cast... machining them up is always the test.. they all look good until you cut open the voids etc..

Cheers all...

Rob T

Offline Artie

« Reply #132 on: January 31, 2011, 05:58:31 PM »
Can it really have been so long since I posted on this project???

Just a small update, the engine is still happening, Im just taking a break for a while, its been fairly intense for a long time and I needed to concentrate on other 'stuff' for a bit and also christmas got in the way..   :beer:

Work has been hectic and the office on the coast now requires me for 2 weeks out of every month, so I only have a small window of opportunity from now on. Other projects have gotten in the way as well such as I needed to frshen up the Duke, it was last restored over 10 years ago and the paint was getting a bit tired and I came across a TT style tank for her... a coupel of pics if you are interested....no.. hell this is Madmodder... lets start a thread....

Here... http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4318.msg45589;boardseen#new

CHeers all

Rob T
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 06:24:49 PM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline Artie

« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2012, 07:02:38 AM »
Good god...... life seems to have taken me in many directions since I last worked on this machine. I still pick it up and fiddle with it now and then..... and suddenly its 14 months later.....wow.

Ive done a heap of things but am out of the habit of posting..... Ill get my arse into gear and get back into it....

Hello everyone... nivce to be back.... Ive had a great read tonight, good to see so many of the old names still active....  :wave:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2012, 08:10:56 AM »
Hi Rob  :wave: :wave: ( just noticed this post  :palm:)

Good to see you back mate ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its been a wile  :)  ,,,,,,,,,,,, will you be restarting work on the engine build  :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:  :) ?

Rob W