Author Topic: Home made jib crane with photos  (Read 13774 times)

Offline Davo J

Home made jib crane with photos
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:14:57 PM »
Hi to all you madmodders, :nrocks:
I posted some pictures of this jib crane in (Robs 626 mill thread) and rather than anyone asking a question there about it I thought I had better start a new thread here.

I have been having a hard time lifting things on and off the mill and the lathe for some time and usually had to get a hand off someone (usually my son) to give me a lift. The problem is not age but a broken disc in my neck and after a MI scan and surgery (the operation was unsuccessful) the doctors told me I had an 80 year old spine at the ripe old age of 38 that was 4 years ago. About 12 months ago I had the son in-law help lift the 250mm (10”) rotary and he nearly dropped it, so I decided to build a crane to do the lifting as I still wanted to lift things on my own but safely.

After some research on the internet (not much out there) I built this jib crane last year but only put it up at Christmas. It was made of scrap that I picked up in a dumpster and the main post a mate gave to me.
The beam is 150mm x 75 (6"x3") and is 2.3 mtrs (7.5ft) long made up of 2 pieces welded together. The vertical leg is 1mtr (3.2ft) long.

The bearings retainers are from the rear diff of a Nissan 720 4x4 pickup with a standard 30mm inner bearing in the top retainer and the bottom one with the original taper bearing from the axle. There is a 40mm (13/4”) square trailer axle machined at both ends to suit the bearings welded to the back of the crane. I made plates up to go around them and welded them to the crane as extra insurance.

I made the brackets up to hold the bearing retainers out of 10mm (3/8") plate and they bolt onto the 100x100mm (4"x4") thick wall post. They bolt on to the post with 4 x 20mm (3/4) HT bolts top and bottom. I welded the nuts to a 300mm x 90 x 6mm ((1’x 3 1/2”x1/4”) plates top and bottom and then slid the plates inside the post while it was laying on the ground. A couple of small countersunk bolts hold them in place until the post goes up and the bolts go in. The top plates are 150 x 150x 10mm (6”x6”x3/8) with the same 20mm bolts and the bottom plate is 300x175x20mm (1’x7”x3/4) with 5x 16mm (5/8) pins into the concrete. I made the dummy bolts at the bottom because it has to be removed to another location latter. They have a hex head but no thread and are hammered 75mm (3”)into the tight fitting hole in the concrete.

You will see in the photo that I made up some temporary angle brackets with thread bar to do the final adjustments to the post when the crane was up, before welding the bottom. I was lucky I did that as when I first put it up it needed to go higher than I thought.  So I lifted it 150mm higher and had to redrill more holes and plug up the old ones.
The beam trolley is made up to suit the electric winch my wife bought me for a Christmas present. I had an old beam trolley that I got the wheels off.

Just after getting it up I decided I needed a cable festoon for the electric wires so I found a deal on eBay plastic wheels and made some trolleys up out of 3mm (1/8”) plate.
 I made it so the controller is separate from the winch and left provision for the power controls that I will be fitting latter to move it in and out and side to side.

I haven’t used it much as I am doing renovations on the house but it will be a big help in the future.
All up it only cost me $25Aus dollars and that was for the stickers and the festoon wheels.

This is the first time I have put together a post so I hope I haven’t left anything out and I hope it’s understandable.
Davo  :beer:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 05:47:17 AM by Davo J »

Offline Davo J

Re: JIB CRANE
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 09:18:22 PM »
A few more

Offline Davo J

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:21:19 PM »
And more

Offline Davo J

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:23:57 PM »
And last
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:25:32 PM by Davo J »

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 10:24:48 PM »
Davo J

There is nothing wrong with your post. There is an excellent description to go along with the many excellent photos. If anyone so desires they should be able to do so just from this post. I have the feeling that a lot will want a crane like this and a few will be building one. First rate job mate. :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer: :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Davo J

Re: Home made jib crane with photos
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 10:53:24 PM »
Thanks Don,
I don't usually take pictures of my projects. But after learning from so many good post from others sharing there projects :mmr:, I decided it was time I gave a bit back.
I only rated it as 500kg because of the winch but it would be fine for 1000kg as the ones there selling commercially are longer and have a 1000kg rating for that size beam.
Davo

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 02:10:52 AM »
Gee looks a lot like the one posted in Woodwork forums   :scratch:

Makes my rusty mobile gantry look a little ordinary, but hey it works fine.
From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Forget about the price of gold and oil, its the price of beer that matters.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 02:17:19 AM »
Hi Davo

Great job with the crane, very interesting and put together thread.  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Davo J

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 02:45:26 AM »
Gee looks a lot like the one posted in Woodwork forums   :scratch:

Makes my rusty mobile gantry look a little ordinary, but hey it works fine.

Jatt looks like we get around the same great forums

Thanks Stew

Davo

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 05:29:36 AM »
Davo, mate well done. That should do the job.

I have one question, what the hell are you putting on and off the mill and lathe? 500kg capacity boom!
I dont think you will ever strain it... injury's really do make you think outside the box, sort of necessity being the mother of invention sort of thing.

Good stuff mate.

Artie
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Offline Davo J

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 05:45:03 AM »
Hi Artie,
I will only be lifting about a 100kg but thought I would rate it at 500kg like the hoist. It is capable of more but I won’t be lifting it. Also I doubt the Chinese hoist would lift 500kg anyway :zap:. I would need to put my manual chain block on for that sort of weight.
Any heavy lifting is done off the shed trusses. My father in-law, who has passed now, was a chief draftsman at the mines and designed them to be capable of lifting 3 tons.
Davo  :beer:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 05:46:36 AM by Davo J »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 05:47:42 AM »
Excellent  :bow:

You sure have some good welding skills and it looks superb  :bow:

I just bought a 2t engine crane and it's nowhere near as strong looking as your boom. Yes i decided I'm also getting past lifting heavy stuff too  :coffee:

Thanks for the post, really enjoyed reading it, and will be reading it again if/when I want to build something similar as there are some great ideas in there. Like the axle idea  :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Davo J

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 06:00:05 AM »
Hi Darren,
 While building this crane I kept looking at my 2 ton engine lift wondering how they get the rating passed.
 I lifted my mill (1000kg) up about 200mm in the air with it at 3/4 reach and it was flexing something horrid, very scary :doh:. Just be careful using it as you have some heavy gear there.
Davo

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 06:07:32 AM »
Hi Davo,

It was delivered yesterday and I put it all together, strong as it is, but 2000Kg !!

I'm sure glad I didn't get the 1000Kg one. But lifting 1000Kg on the 2000Kg setting should be fine as long as you don't wheelie it around. I have a 2500Kg pallet truck for that and only need the lift to get things off the ground or in and out the trailer.
Lift/move trailer/lower onto pallet truck  :)

Well that's the idea anyways  :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Davo J

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 06:27:18 AM »
Yes the pallet jack will be fine I try to keep the load forward on it. If you get it too far to the back it acts like a trike and tips.
Davo

Offline SAM in LA

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 09:43:14 AM »
Davo J,

Nice crane.

I'd like to have one but my garage has 8 foot ceilings.

There is a finished room above so I can't remove the ceiling.

I used an engine hoist to move my 3 in 1.

I'm looking forward to more of your posts.

Good job.

SAM

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 10:36:56 AM »
Great job Davo , a very pro looking piece of kit , that will save you allot of heavy lifting .

Thanks for posting more photos , looks like i have another project  :proj:

Cheers Rob

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 02:50:29 PM »
Great work indeed! :thumbup:

My new shop will be a very lightly built garage  but I hope I can make something at least good enough to handly my four jaw which really does pucker the sphincter somewhat. :coffee:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Davo J

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 09:30:35 PM »
Rob,
One tip is when building one of theses you have to allow for flex. Instead of the crane being square it's opened up about 5mm in 2400mm too allow for flex. I picked that one up off one of the manufactures web sites.
Davo

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 09:54:10 AM »
Hi Dave

TOP TIP MATE  :thumbup:   :bow: :bow: :bow: A very good point , as if you had 500kgs on the end it would be just about impossible to slide it back along the jib  as you would be going up hill .

Thanks for that , cheers Rob