Author Topic: Hello, New here.  (Read 5552 times)

Offline Space Fan

Hello, New here.
« on: February 04, 2010, 08:36:15 PM »
What a great website you have here. Nice group!

I make and repair models and props used in science fiction movies and TV shows. I really like Thunderbirds, Space:1999 and the other Gerry Anderson stuff.

I got into metalworking while making a replica 44"  Eagle Transporter from Space:1999. I needed to make the metal engine bells and since then I've been making parts on my X2 Mill and SIEG 7X12 for all sorts of things.

I had been swamped enough with learning how to make models and then with the metalworking... the model is still on a bench.  :dremel:

My machine tools had sat up for a few years unused due to a minor glitch in health but now I've got them cleaned up, de-rusted and I'm catching up on the metalworking at least.

:)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Hello, New here.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:38:11 PM »
Welcome aboard, I think we would like to see some pictures of what you do  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:25:16 PM »
Absolutely pictures!

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Sounds like an interesting hobby!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 01:14:08 AM »
Space, the final frontier. My favorite fantasies when I was a boy were about space travel. Welcome and  :worthless:
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 01:50:52 AM »
Hi there Space Fan :wave: welcome to the cube :borg:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 02:20:37 AM »
Hi SF,

Welcome to the collective!  :wave:

We must see pics.......  ::)

Join in..... Enjoy!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Space Fan

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 08:24:20 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys! I was in the shop making the last piece needed for my belt drive conversion for my X2.  The small pulley.  I had machinist block trying to chuck the piece. (only 1/8" to grab).  :scratch::smart: After an hour! I threaded a rod and clamped it with bolts through the spindle bore.

Pics. Hummm.  Well it seems I'm short on the pics but I'll give you what I have.

Here is my lathe while building the Eagle.  When I started this there was little info on the model and I needed info for the build so the page was used to gather and share what I needed.  I've made many friends through it and learned alot.

Lathe:
http://members.cox.net/eagletwo/lathe.htm
I've done more to it since this page, welded up backsplash, 6" stainless steel feet. Still can't center that tailstock though!

Eagle Model Page:
http://members.cox.net/eagletwo/index.htm
The model is in dpieces for final buildup and writeup for the web page...

I've been fixing up tools for a hobby too.:
http://members.cox.net/tboh21/vise.html
Please ignore the links in this page, It a test page and they are not functional yet. Sory.

Here are a few pics of an original screen used VOX that was used in Galaxy Quest:
It was broken, gutted of electronics and needed a paint repair.  I replaced the electronics with the exact components and used the same paint for the repair.

I'm searching for pics of the finished models and other props I've repaired or built.  Why is it that the pics you want are so hard to find but the ones that are useless are copied over and over on every disk?

I'll post more when I locate them.
Barry

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 08:49:41 AM »
Barry.

Welcome to our club.

Nice hobby you have there, I still watch ThunderBirds now on the net as they take me back when I was a boy. I am 47 and grew up in that era as they were a new thing.

Lady Penelope I still have a crush on!.  Parker would not approve though. :(

All the best.    Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 09:38:52 AM »
Welcome to the collective Space Fan.  :borg:

Just did a quick prusal perusal of your web site. Very interresting. I'll have to go back when I get some time and go through it.

I see you have a Grizzly mini-mill. So do I. There's a mod for it for the lead screws. Check out my web page on it. Might help a bit since you are fixing problems with the mill. Grizzly Mini-Mill

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 12:37:32 PM »
Hello Space Fan
I had a quick look in passing, and was most impressed by the quality of the photos on your site.
I will be following your posts to pick up hints.
Many thanks for your input to Madmodder. :clap:
Trevor  :beer:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 04:23:51 PM »
Space Fan

Welcome to MadModder. I am sure that you will find a few things of interest when looking around here. I know we will find many things of interest on your site. If you have any questions give a shout as there is always someone around to give an answer or at least an opinion. Look forward to seeing more of your projects.  :) :)

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Space Fan

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 05:55:46 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments on my hobbies. I've been trying to clear projects off my benches as fast as I can.  I have people waiting for stuff and I'm slow as way oil in winter.

Speaking of projects. I just added this flood coolant to my band saw.  Its fully removable being attached with magnets so I can use it on the mill if neededd.

This speeds cuts a bit and there's no dust and still dead on plump and square.

Offline Space Fan

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 06:16:24 PM »
Here are some pics of making the belt drive conversion for the mill.  I'm using Daniel Kemps plans slightly modified.

P.S. This was the first time I used a faceplate. Man thats FUN. Super easy to bore this large hole and accurate. Its Exactly to the scribed circle and in relation to the bolt holes I had pre drilled.  Very satisfying procedure.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:24:54 PM by Space Fan »

Offline Space Fan

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 06:18:25 PM »
Heres a pic of the wheel I made for the compound on the lathe.  The knurled edge allows for micro feeds.