Author Topic: Do you Speak German?  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Do you Speak German?
« on: January 31, 2010, 06:47:40 AM »
Hi I have a request,

I have bought something from someone in Germany and we seem to be having difficulty with language barriers. I have sent messages in English and German translated by Google. But I'm not sure how well Googles translation is working as we seem to be having difficulty.

He does not seem to speak any English and I do not unfortunately speak German.  :doh:

My payment for the item has been sent via a signed for delivery and is sitting in a post office as no-one was in when delivery was attempted, I'm having trouble getting him to understand this and that he needs to contact his post office or sorting office. I assume Google is probably not translating the specifics very well.

Would anyone care to offer me a little help, I'd be most grateful ...  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Do you Speak German?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 06:57:43 AM »
Something like

Hi,
The Post Office attempted delivery of the payment on 22/01/10

Tracking information: 
"A delivery was attempted for your item with reference RJ288299640GB in GERMANY before 08:19 on 22/01/10."

You need to contact your Post Office sorting office to collect and sign for the delivery.

Thanks
Darren
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Trion

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 07:45:50 AM »
Finally something I can help with ::)

"Hallo, die Post hat versucht die Zahlung am 22 Januar 2010 zu liefern." - Hi, The Post Office attempted delivery of the payment on 22/01/10

"Tracking information: Eine Lieferung wurde bevor 08:19 am 22 Januar 2010 für ihre versendung, mit der Referanznummer RJ288299640GB, in Deutschland versucht." Tracking information: "A delivery was attempted for your item with reference RJ288299640GB in GERMANY before 08:19 on 22/01/10."

"Sie müssen mit ihrer Post-Sortierungsbüro Kontakt nehmen, um ihre Lieferung unterzeichnen und sie zu erhalten" You need to contact your Post Office sorting office to collect and sign for the delivery.

"Vielen dank"
Darren

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 08:13:11 AM »
Many thanks for the help.  :thumbup:

I'm impressed, you speak at least three languages  :bow: We British as a nation are rather lazy in that respect  :doh:

I speak two, but the second one has very limited use being only spoken in my local area  :bang:

Hopefully he will understand now and things can be sorted   :beer:

Offline websterz

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 09:17:12 AM »
I speak English, Spanish, and a smattering of French. No German though...wasn't offered at our schools. :(
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 03:49:46 PM »
Don't know if this will help but, translate web based yahoo bablefish have only used it for Russian but there a lot listed for both directions
There are a lot of programs for free like the above but this one doesn't have to be on your computer!
 :thumbup:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Yorkshireman

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 01:31:30 AM »
Hi

I am a natuaral German speaker, born in Germany, now living on this misty island.

German on:

Wenn also jemand Hilfe bei einer Übersetzung benötigt, dann kann man mich gerne fragen.

German off:

In short, I can also help with the lingo of Goethe and Schiller.

Johannes

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 03:59:31 AM »

In short, I can also help with the lingo of Goethe and Schiller.

Johannes

Didn't they used to make Rotovators with Villiers engines ?

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Yorkshireman

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 06:32:12 AM »

Offline Xldevil

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 09:48:03 AM »
Hi.
I´m living in Germany and my English is not that bad.
I would be glad to help,but it seems like everything is done already.
Ralph

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 09:55:26 AM »
Thanks for all the offers lads ... what a wonderful place this is ...  :)

If I have any more problems I'll be asking who likes nearest to him next ...   :lol:

It doesn't help that he doesn't seem to read his emails days at a time  :doh: