Author Topic: Beaver milling machine  (Read 9155 times)

Offline slowcoach

Beaver milling machine
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:17:07 PM »
Hi, can anyone out there tell me the specs of a Beaver milling machine motor (UK) Something like Horse power and voltage ratings?

Cheers
Rob

Offline John Rudd

Re: Beaver milling machine
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:10:41 PM »
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:22:55 PM »
They came in 2 and 3hp.

But mine is 1.5Hp

So if it's not displayed in the rating plate then you can take pot luck.

Always 415V 3ph
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline slowcoach

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 04:28:11 PM »
Thanks Guys, I was just wondering if the motor was a dual voltage 220/400v delta winding. But it looks as if they come fitted with a 415v star winding.

Rob  :thumbup:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 04:49:49 PM »
Mine only has 3 wires in the motor, so no voltage choices.

If you are thinking of using 240V 3ph you would have to consider the other two motors as well.

And yes they only have 3 wires too ...
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline slowcoach

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 05:01:50 PM »
Cheers Darren, I thought it would be. A friend of mine has chance of getting one, he wants to use his dual voltage 2hp phase inverter to run it.

Thanks again  :thumbup:
Rob

Offline Stormin

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 05:47:26 PM »
They feed and coolant motor on my milling machine came rated as 440v star only. To enable it to be run off my VFD I took it to a local motor rewind shop. The chap there found the star point of the motor and soldered a couple of extra wires on to take them out to the connector box. I then had a motor I could either run in star or Delta. Total cost £20. Lot cheaper than sourcing a new motor and trying to get it to fit in the limited space inside the mill.

Offline Richard

Re: Beaver milling machine non Dual Voltage Motors
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 01:39:26 PM »
Hi to you all am a newbie on here ,i have just acquired a Beaver Mill the Tag said VBRP, i bought a manual to try and identify what it is,Mk1 Or MK2 and no glaring points to see so i am going by what the manual said as to which type was fitted with what Table Dimension,its bit hit and miss.I recently tried to buy an Inverter at Drives Direct  because i only have single phase 240V and they asked if it was a Dual Voltage Motor,and i should remove the Motor plate and see how the wires are connected,the Motor Plate said 400-440V 3Phase,1.5 Hp 2.6 FL Amps etc,but there is no cover like other motors,i removed the top but all i saw is the Armature and windings and 3 wires that disappear into the motor,am now wondering if i have to take the pulley and front cover to see where the wire goes,i have this strange feeling it not a dual Voltage as the Seller said,the feed motor is also 3phase i believe its a 1/4 hp 3phase  400-440motor like the one on the top,in the manual there is a wiring diagram with some interesting switches and weird hook up,tell you what is a new journey in Electrics,doing some serious research,am stuck as i cant believe the only way around this is mega bucks,any help much appreciate if anyone  has overcome the said challenge.
cheers Richard

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »
Richard

I replaced my bridgeport motor with 2HP single phase. I would have loved to have used a VFD but the motor was knackerd and the cheapest option for me was to just replace the motor. For the bed motor i was able to change to 240 Delta then i used this site to sort out the phasing http://www.waterfront-woods.com/Articles/phaseconverter.htm. On a small motor is not a problem and used motor capacitors fr the job. Hope that helps

Once in hole stop digging.