Author Topic: Need help making motorcycle spokes  (Read 6857 times)

Offline jamoni

Need help making motorcycle spokes
« on: January 17, 2010, 10:56:09 PM »
So, I went and bought a very cool motorcycle, an XT550.  It's a big dual sport, lots of power and torque, can hit 100 mph (uh... so I've heard....  :thumbup: ) and is, in general, a really fun machine.
The only problem is, it was only manufactured for 2 years, and parts are impossible to find.
SO... when I broke a couple of spokes on the rear wheel, I found out I'd have to order them from Japan, pay up front, and they may not even be able to get them.  Call me crazy, but I'm not going to just give someone $150 to TRY and get a part.
Yeah, they are $150 for a spoke set.
SO.... I'm making them.
I'm using steel rods, 3/16" diameter.  To match the old spokes, I'm turning them down to 1/8" for the last 3 inches or so of the spoke.  The end is then threaded to match the nipple.
The only thing this leaves is the bend in the other end, and the mushroom shaped head.
What I've tried is heating the rod, bending the 90*, and cutting the end down to about 3/16" longer than the finished length.  I then put it in a little jig I made, heated up the end, and spent a whole heckuva long time trying to forge that mushroom shape by hand.
Can anyone think of a better way to do this?  It's inaccurate, takes a long time, and takes a ton of gas.  I'm using MAPP/O2.  I considered brazing a piece on to the end, but was concerned about strength.  I also considered threading the end and making a threaded nut, but have concerns about it working loose.
Sorry no pics to better explain things.  Everything is buried due to winter and getting ready for the new shop.

Offline tinkerer

Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline jamoni

Re: Need help making motorcycle spokes
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:10:29 AM »
I need rear spokes.  Those off a TT600 or XT600 SHOULD work, but it's not guaranteed.  Anyway, I don't want to spend the dough, when I only need two spokes.  I'm just looking for advice on how to form the mushroomy part.
Thanks, though!

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 10:57:22 AM »
Hello Jamoni
The making of any expanded end on a bar or shaft is called upsetting, the term is from blacksmiths.
Please try the following.
As the bar/wire is very thin attach a small weight approx 1 inch from the end to be upset, this is all before you cut to size.
The weight is to increase the impact.
Heat the end to be upset to near white but not to sparking heat, you may damage some until you get the hang of it.
Only heat the very end, if you heat to much the end will bend on impact.
Then allowing the bar.wire too fall vertical on to a hard surface, once per heat.
This should cause a mushroom type thickening to the end.
Do not quench in water or oil as it may make the spoke brittle.
No amount of hammering will give the same effect.
I wish you success
Trevor

Offline METALARCHER

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 11:46:09 AM »
Usually the threads on spokes are rolled, not cut. Try Buchannan's frame and wheel in los angeles.

Offline jamoni

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 08:21:24 PM »
Trevor, thank you!  That's exactly what I needed!