Author Topic: Fitting DRO's  (Read 3775 times)

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
Fitting DRO's
« on: January 17, 2010, 10:31:20 AM »
Hi all

I'm going to be fitting some DRO's to my milling machine - the basic digital caliper type with a remote readout (from Arc Euro trade)

Looking through previous posts I see that normal practice is to fit the readout head as the fixed part and it's the scale that moves with the table. On my Elliott Omnimill there's no obvious way to fix the Y axis scale like this so is there any reason why I can't do it the other way round. The only problem I can see is that I'll need to sort out a different means of protecting the scale but my lack of experience may mean that I'm missing something even more obvious.

Cheers

Jim

Offline Majorstrain

• Perth, West Australia
Re: Fitting DRO's
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:50:08 AM »
Hi Jim,
You will need to consider the effects of the cable flexing as the head moves. It will fatigue the connection and the cable over time, so fixing the cable to the head would be good (strain relief).
You will also need to allow enough free cable for the head to reach maximum travel in both directions.
It is more advantages to have the head, connector and cable stationary but it will work OK with the head moving.

Cheers
Phil

Offline No1_sonuk

Re: Fitting DRO's
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 07:26:21 PM »
Perhaps the best option is to fit it with the bar moving if you can, but don't assume you have to do all of them the same way, particularly if you have remote display.