Author Topic: Test Dial Indicator  (Read 9006 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Test Dial Indicator
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »
I would like to find a DTI that has the measuring button on the rear, usually a larger button than the normal types ... no luck so far ..

Does anyone know if they have a special name?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline websterz

Re: Test Dial Indicator
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »
I have always heard them called "button-back".
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline websterz

"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:49:23 AM »
That's the type, I've not been able to find one in the UK ....  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline websterz

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 11:23:30 AM »
Blimey, I thought that was a normal type when I scanned it quickly .... thanks, you're a star  :ddb:

Offline websterz

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 12:43:24 PM »
Glad to help.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
Thanks to a little help from here I managed to get hold of one of these "button back" dial gauges

First job was to make a holder for it to use with the milling machine for tramming the head. A simple 20mm SS bar with a grub screw arrangement to hold the arm.

In the past I have used a normal type dti that we are all familiar with. Although this works well enough reading the dial as you spin it around is a real chore when it faces away from you.
With this gauge you can always read the dial with little trouble at all.

Here you can see the tram was about 8 thou out. The gauge reads in tenths so every ten divisions is one thou.
I got the tram down to two tenths in all directions which is rather pedantic but it I wanted to see if it could be done  :dremel:
Rather pointless I know, cos if you lean on the machine it move a whole thou anyway so we can only guess what it's doing when cutting.

I would guess normally tramming to a thou would be close enough.

Offline websterz

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 06:29:14 PM »
Looks like that stem will accept different points, like a regular dial indicator. That could come in extremely handy! Looks like a right smart bit of kit.  :thumbup:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 06:36:22 PM »
Yes the tip unscrews, as does the fixing arm.

It also has thread to take a tip to use like a regular plunge dti, though it's a different thread to the one on the back. You can see where it fits in the second picture.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 03:19:45 AM »
Darren, nice idea! I like the tramming jig/equipment that John and Stew made: http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=822.0 but I don`t think I`d accurately be able to make everything square enough for a true reading! This bit of kit is excellent and I could do with another DTI.
Where did you buy from in the end?

Chris

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 05:26:41 AM »
Hi Chris,

This gauge came up on the bay.  :thumbup:

I too like Johns idea, but although making it accurately seems reasonable enough I just can't get it out of my head that loosing the squareness would be all to easy making it useless. A little knock or a warp and it would need re-machining.

Maybe I worry to much and the concept is fine, but this way I don't have to worry about such issues.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 12:32:39 PM »
Hi Chris,

This gauge came up on the bay.  :thumbup:

I too like Johns idea, but although making it accurately seems reasonable enough I just can't get it out of my head that loosing the squareness would be all to easy making it useless. A little knock or a warp and it would need re-machining.

Maybe I worry to much and the concept is fine, but this way I don't have to worry about such issues.

Darren,

They were my thoughts at the time........

A finger clock has always worked fine for me.  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!