Author Topic: Is this a good idea?  (Read 4394 times)

Offline ieezitin

Is this a good idea?
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:05:27 PM »
I have come up with idea, I am very ignorant when it comes to electrical problems and my understanding is very limited. Believe me I have volumes of work in my library on electrics and have read through them all thoroughly but always came away with a lack of understanding. Just recently I had a problem with a pump which in turn has been probably identified as an electrical problem and without the help of people on here I would have pulled my hair out trying to solve the problem. really my need was not related to modeling ,machining or associated theme of this board.

Now what I am suggesting is there should be category where people could post a wish list of a particular interest in or need of tuition  and or further knowledge on a subject they need teaching in to enhance there understanding.  Then in turn someone could respond with a good tutorial on that subject. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board but I have noticed a lot of browsers too. Maybe someone who normally just browses would be enticed to share his knowledge on the said particular need. One example is myself, I know welding techniques, procedures, the science, Tig, Stick, Mig, Orbital, Submerged Arc the list goes on but may never be aired if you never knew I knew it. I have been in a machine shop for 30 years and I assume most of you know certain procedures in machining, the problem is in the word assuming.

I think your getting my drift and I would encourage the members to respond with there opinions.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Is this a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:54:53 PM »
This boards purpose is deliberately open minded towards different disciplines.

If you want to know something about anything craft related then all you really need to do is ask as you did with your pump problem  :thumbup:

And as I did with bearings recently ....

But it could be just about anything inc the kitchen sink washers ....  :dremel:

The "how do I" section should cover what you suggest, unless I'm missing your meaning ?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:17:22 AM »
Anthony,

I have to agree with Darren.

If we keep adding sections it would get quite large and probably unmanageable. Also the opposite is true. If everything is kept in just one section that would also grow larger eventually and subjects would be hard to find.

This subject has been touched on before I believe. I don't think there is a good solution to this question that would satisfy both parties (mods & memebers).

Perhaps something good will come out of this discussion.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 03:05:35 PM »
I think this is an excellent.

What about a sticky thread at the top of the How To`s forum called "How To... Requests" or something similar and if people can respond to the requests in there they may be more inclined to post a tutorial?

Chris

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
And what about another sticky thread at the top of the How-To section listing all the how-to's already written with links to each one? Sort of like an index?

Then all the how-to's could be found from the 1st page.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 01:30:49 PM »
On individual pages such as this the "search" box in the upper right hand corner can be filled in to find what you are looking for.

To give it a try use some word that you know is in that thread you just wrote. For example type in the words "electrical problems", (without the quote marks). It will show up in the search. These are words Anthony used in his opening statement.

And what about another sticky thread at the top of the How-To section listing all the how-to's already written with links to each one? Sort of like an index?

This could grow to be quite a monster after a while and someone will want an index to the index. See where this could lead to. Try using the search first and see if it isn't easier. At least the result will give you several posts to pick from or tell you there is no such thing.

Bernd

I just tried the search on electrical problem and it cam up with all of the iterations of electrical and problem. Ofcourse you will need to able spell properly for the search to work properly.
If you try that search while you are on the main page of the "How do I??" it will show up 3 different threads with the words electrical and problem. Give it a try.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 01:36:30 PM by Bernd »
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 04:27:25 PM »
Darren.

My thought was a category solely for people to suggest a request on a given subject. I shall better explain it  this way.

(Milling in the lathe) general question . Ok the person knows who is going to answer the post understands the guy needs information on this subject and needs to be general or get specific in his explanation, could go like this, lathes are limited milling machines, small lathes have a harder time than medium, limited height, limited travel, chatter because the structures are weak, types of cutters, milling cutters in the chuck, stationary milling cutters, let me give a tip here, let me give you a tip there, bla bla bla I think you get my drift. Purely by asking the question in this category generates all these thoughts and explanations which in turn explodes the topic wider. Then my thought was that a lot of people who just browse may-just may be enticed to contribute to the board. So really its like the Learning channel being fed by requests.

Bernd.

Your point is taken.

But I seriously doubt this site will always be like it is now. It will get bigger, that’s the nature of the beast. Controlled it can be as long as the rules are adhered too.

Someone somewhere is paying for what we have now, I mention this because there is no free lunch and if we all want to keep our site the way we want it then in the pockets we shall have to dive. And rightly so may I add.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.