Author Topic: Desiccant Air Drier  (Read 3301 times)

Offline platypus20

Desiccant Air Drier
« on: December 19, 2009, 08:43:44 PM »
I just bought the Harbor Freight model #97686 desiccant air drier, $40, that uses #97924 desiccant media, $5 for 2.2# (1 kilo). Its a 34" long piece of 2" pipe, it has 2 screw on caps and 2 media support baffles. When assembled there is about 24" of desiccant supported in a vertically mounted tube, with build in water trap. I bought this to be used with the (3) Hypertherm plasma cutters, to ensure clean dry air to the machine to prolong consumable life. The air enters the bottom, into the water trap, the goes thru the bottom support baffle, thru the media and the upper support baffle, then out the drier to the equipment being used. I have been using the much smaller inline version of the desiccant drier, they work great, but don't last long, hopefully they will be better.

1 - wall mounted
2 - air inlet and drain valve
3 - air outlet
4 - bag of desiccant

jack

jack

Offline platypus20

Re: Desiccant Air Drier
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 08:47:59 PM »
5 - the top plate of the baffles
6 - bottom of baffle
7 - close fit of baffle to the main body tube
8 - both mounted, ready use

the driers are piped with Apollo ball valve and air line quick-connects, to allow quick change over

jack
jack

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:19:17 PM »
I've been thinking of getting a plasma cutter. Been looking at the Miller line.

What are you using?

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline platypus20

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 09:46:26 PM »
I've been thinking of getting a plasma cutter. Been looking at the Miller line.

What are you using?

Bernd

I have (3) Hypertherms, a Powermax 30 (30 amp), a Powermax 45 (45 amp) and a Powermax 1250 (80 amp). I fabricate a lot of parts for my employer, in my shop, then sell them the parts. I'm working on (4) retro-fit gas/oil burner mounting plates, they get welded to the boiler front, and the burner then bolts to the plate. They are 36" OD x 18" ID x 3/8" thick steel plates, with about 24 drilled holes and 12 tapped holes.

jack
jack