Author Topic: digital micrometer  (Read 3490 times)

Offline chuck foster

digital micrometer
« on: December 07, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »
while looking around on ebay i decided to buy a digital micrometer, this is what i got.

i know it is far more accurate than me or my old south bend will ever be but what i like about it is i can read it with out any problems.
my eyes ain't what they used to be  :(

so any of you guys that have a hard time reading a regular mike, might want to try a digital mike............you won't be sorry.

in the end i just felt that what the hay................i'm worth it  :)

chuck
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline tinkerer

Re: digital micrometer
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:18:03 PM »
That is one nice mic. Good snag there.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

GrahamC

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:24:18 PM »
Yes, I am getting older too and my eyes are not what they used to be. I can't do much of anything of a fine or detailed nature around the shop without my "eyes" - an optivisor with 5 diopeter lenses plus and extra 2x flip down magnifier on one lens when a closer look is needed.  They hang near the door on my way in to the shop and they are the first I grab when entering and the last thing put away when I done.

As for micrometers, my "eyes" help me see them without much problem but I do have a Starrett 216 with a mechanical digital readout which is a pure joy to use over the ones I have with such a readout.  I have long coveted one of the digital readout mic's - new prices are bit daunting and I hesitate to purchase something like that used, even the good brand names - always worried about the electronics going south having nothing but a mechanical mic left behind.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada.

Offline Twmaster

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 03:35:28 AM »
Heh. I was poking around on eBay this very evening looking at digital mics. I too am having difficulty reading the scales on a standard mic.. The mechanical digital mics are cheap enough used too!

Nice snag indeed. Those Mitus are nice 'toys'!  :thumbup:
Mike N

I break stuff.