Author Topic: When You Really Need to Move 1.98 Million Pounds  (Read 21356 times)

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
When You Really Need to Move 1.98 Million Pounds
« on: December 06, 2009, 11:47:45 PM »
For the past few weeks, a "super heavy" load has been making its way from Hardeeville SC, enroute to Boiling Springs NC. It is a large electric generator destined for a clean coal power plant. The generator weighs in at 1.98 million pounds and isn't something you just jump on an interstate freeway with and truck it on down the road.

In order to support such a load without destroying every inch of road you travel, the weight has to be widely distributed. You also have to travel back roads so that day to day commerce isn't completely disrupted along your route. After all..... your top speed on level ground is less than 20 mph and this drops to as little as 1.5 mph on grades and slopes. Rush hour traffic traffic on an interstate would soon be solidly backed up to the state lines in both directions.

I finally had time to catch up with the load on Friday as it moved along a stretch of country road near the NC state line, but was unable to get near enough to shoot photos.  Luckily, one of the crew let me know it would be on the move again early Sunday morning when they would be making a detour around an interstate overpass that was not rated for anything near the weight of the load.

Here is the rig I'm talking about.... The trailer, as rigged, is 300 ft long all by itself. There are 36 rows of axles, each with 8 tires. (288 total) These can be augmented with up to another additional 80 wheels on hinged outriggers, for a total of 368 potential flats.  Add in 5 each 10 wheel heavy duty road tractors (2 pulling and 3 pushing)  and that flat tire potential rises to 418.  The outriggers are not deployed in these photos, so the total tire count, for the moment, is 338.

The load then had to negotiate the 90° turn seen in the photo. This had to be done while keeping all 338 tires solidly on paved surfaces. Note that each axle is steerable so it's only a little less exacting than a tap dancing centipede, but an on board computer system has things well in hand. It doesn't fully control the action since there is a "driver" in the chain of command. Here the action as begun and the lead tractors are making their initial turn.

As things advance, dozens of power crews are on hand to clear overhead wires and there are hundreds of other support crews and dozens of support trucks waiting to fall in line behind the convoy.

Notice that each large truck has a box firmly anchored over the rear wheels. Those are 18,500 pound weights which give the truck the needed traction this load requires to get it moving.

Looking closely at the rear section of the trailer, you'll see it is sitting at about an angle of 45° to the rest of the load. Once the main load was aligned as they wanted, the rear section crabbed and adjusted until it was in line and ready to travel. It was a strange action to watch but it worked perfectly.

Here is a shot of one of the two "Drivers" The computer might tell the all wheels how much to turn, but this guy tells the computer when to do it and how much at a time. He's apparently pretty durable since the dawn temperature was a chilling 25° as he began his ride.

Here you can see how the the immense weight was distributed across the trailer sections as well as the hinge points for the support bridge. Both ends are supported in this fashion, making the whole rig a lot more flexible than it might first appear. Those outriggers I mentioned are clearly visible along the outer edge of the trailer.

The main bridge beams suspend the huge generator about 18 inches above the roadbed. When the job is completed, the round pins near the bottom edge can be removed and the beams can be stacked for their return trip home. Even up close they almost look too small to be holding that much weight up in the air. Standing near this beam is a little spooky. All kinds of pops and groans can be heard, even when it isn't on the move.

It was a fun way to begin a new day. Everyone I met was friendly, including those doing some downright cold and dirty work. Even the local cops seemed to be in fine spirits as they dealt with more traffic than that small community has probably ever seen. I just wanted to share some of the sights with you guys.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 11:49:45 PM by cedge »

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: When You Really Need to Move 1.98 Million Pounds
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 02:00:24 AM »
Cedge

Thanks for sharing that with us Cedge. 2 of my sons friends drive for a company here in Ontario that haul oversize and overweight loads. Lately they have been hauling a lot of electric windmill towers all across the US. Some of the pictures and stories are amazing.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 02:27:59 AM »
Hi Steve

Thanks for showing that some load and truck/trucks.

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 02:39:15 AM »
Cost of making the item, 500,000 bucks, cost of transporting to destination, millions.

A very enlightening piece there Steve.

Stew will know where I am on about with this bit.

We have a daytime park point for oversized loads, next to the motorway (freeway) that is fairly close by to where we live. You would be amazed at some of the stuff that they move around in the dead of night.
We also have a refurbishing factory in town that caters for locos and rolling stock, and when they changed the road layout near to where we live, it caused chaos because the transporters kept getting stuck, trying to negotiate the bends in the new layout. So much for town and highways planning. :doh:

John

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 04:15:54 AM »
How lucky you are, to be able to observe such a rare & complicated operation, Steve!

Thank you for showing.....  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline boatmadman

• Located in Barrow in Furness, South Cumbria
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 06:56:08 AM »
Some years ago, my local shipyard, VSEL, diversified from subs to surface vessels for a while.

They built a number of ships in sections in an under cover facility that was originally built for the Trident submarine project, then transported about a mile down the road to the slipway, welded together and launched.

Two of these vessels are Albion Class landing platform docks, with a displacement of 18500 tonnes.

The picture attached shows the rear section of the vessel passing some houses en route to the slipway, unfortunately, its the only one I have, but it really was an impressive sight.

I may be wrong, but I think the weight of the heaviest section moved in this way was about 7000 tonnes.

Ian
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:59:29 AM by boatmadman »
If it works, take it apart and find out why!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 08:47:06 AM »
Steve,

Great pictures and very fasinating to see something that large being moved.

Ian,

Now that's scary.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Krown Kustoms

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 09:22:49 PM »
Boggs, here  in Virginia it is illegal to move anything oversize, overhight, or overweight at any time except weekday daylight. (M-F 6am-6pm)
As far as I know that law is national but Im not completely sure.
Do they have to ove big things at night or is that a convenience?
-B-

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 10:04:52 PM »
Krown
It is a national regulation. Daylight to Sunset movement only.

Bogs...
Word is that they are paying the state $3 million just for road use. Then they are having to pay a per lift charge for power lines and obstruction removal. Someone  tossed a $45 million total number into a conversation while we were standing around talking, but said it could go higher if weather delays and such trigger contract penalties. I have no idea what the actual generator price tag was.

The generator was built by Toshiba in Japan, so I'm sure there were similar charges over ,there plus the cost for sea movement. Luckily a power company can spread the costs for such things over many years.

I've seen one or two larger trailers than this one in the past, but not loaded and on the move.

Steve

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 05:39:54 AM »
Krown,

If they tried to move large objects down our motorways during the day, the country would come to a halt.

Even when something breaks down on our motorways, it can take untold hours to get the traffic moving again, and of course, in a country where they used to build roads to go around trees that were in the way, in a lot of places, you would be lucky to get a standard artic thru.

Britain is a quaint little place in parts, but crap to get around in a vehicle almost anywhere. This morning, I have driven 60 miles, mainly A roads and motorway, and it took me 2 1/2 hours.

Bogs

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 02:29:46 PM »
This morning, I have driven 60 miles, mainly A roads and motorway, and it took me 2 1/2 hours. Bogs

You still driving that Standard Guards Van then Bogs? :)
From the den of The Artful Bodger