Author Topic: Tapered roller bearings?  (Read 5235 times)

Offline websterz

Tapered roller bearings?
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:13:28 PM »
Getting ready to install them on my 7x12. What lube is recommended? Also what is the best break-in procedure for new bearings like this? I have never installed TRB's before.  :proj:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline tinkerer

Re: Tapered roller bearings?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 08:17:09 PM »
Try this site. Look on the right menu for your application needs.
http://www.who-sells-it.com/r/taper-roller-bearings-sizes.html
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline Twmaster

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 03:38:51 AM »
Good quality moly wheel bearing grease should be what you need. You don't want something that is too thin and runs out of the bearing. Install per the directions on Arc's website. Run the machine. Check to make sure the headstock is not getting hot. Warm is good. Hot bad. Adjust as needed. Check adjustment periodically. Again adjust as needed.

HTH.
Mike N

I break stuff.

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:29:44 AM »
Webs,

Unless you can get the full friction pulloff procedure for the application, in your case, the lathe spindle, then you need to use a rule of thumb.

That is, tighten up the nuts until there is no end play at all, but also no drag on the bearing, then give the nut about another 1/16th of a tightening turn.
Normally you should check the rotational friction pulloff by using an arm and spring balance on the chuck, but as long as the threads on the spindle end are fairly fine, what I have suggested using the rule of thumb should be OK.

This operation preloads the bearing.

The machine should be run for at least a couple of minutes, or even longer, before being used or for any long period of inactivity during the day. This ensures that the spindle has expanded to it's working length (normally, it is about 0.002" that the spindle 'grows' in length, due to heat produced).

If you don't do the preload or the warm up procedure, then the spindle can in fact become loose endways, or you will get bad finishes due to the bearings brinelling before the spindle growth has had time to relieve the preload pressure.

If leaving the machine for extended periods of inactivity, say for the winter period, the preload should be released, otherwise the bearings can become permanently brinelled (rough running) and require replacement.

Ideally the bearing should be oil lubricated, but in your situation, that isn't possible, but as suggested, a good quality bearing grease can be used. But only fill the bearing a max of 50% full, otherwise hydraulicing between the bearing parts can cause early failure.

This has all been discussed at length in previous posts.

Just a little note about bearings in lathe heads. You will invariably get much better surface finishes with a lathe that has correctly adjusted plain bearings, either Babbit, cast iron or bronze.
The reason for fitting raced bearings is to allow the lathe to turn at higher rotational speeds, but you do lose out on the quality of the finish due to the inherent 'ratcheting' of a ball or taper bearing.

That is why a lot of people still swear by using old iron with plain bearings, and they don't mind about the higher speeds that raced bearings allow. I have never had the superb finishes I used to obtain since I swapped over the plain bearing head to a tapered bearing one on my Atlas lathe, and now the new lathe, again with bearings in it.

John

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:39:30 AM »
Just a note on getting the grease into the bearings called "packing the bearing". Just rubbing a quantity of grease on the outside is not sufficient. Here is the way I was taught to pack bearings as a lad back in the 40's.

Take a blob of grease and place it on the heel of your left palm (reverse this if you are left handed) Using the edge of the roller cage, slice a bit of the grease, continue to do this until you see grease oozing out of the top of the cage. Rotate the bearing slightly and repeat. Continue until the complete bearing is packed.

This is the method used to pack wheel bearings on cars and trucks that go thousands of miles between servicing.

Joe