Author Topic: small steam and model show  (Read 7487 times)

Offline chuck foster

small steam and model show
« on: December 04, 2009, 08:23:56 PM »
i went to this show earlier this year and thought i would share some photo's with you guys.
first is a steam train that belongs to a good friend of mine, i don't know the particulars of the engine.
i do know that under steam she drives like a dream and has power to spare.

next up is one of mr bill huxholds beam engines, it is a copy of the m.e. beam engine and it is fabricated from brass,steel and stainless steel. the flywheel is 5" in diameter and if i remember right bill said the beam is made up of 18 or 20 pieces. about a month ago i had the chance to visit bill in his shop...........what a treat that was, now if i could only remember a fraction of what he showed me. i didn't take my camera so there is no pictures.

next is a picture of my dads 6 h.p. sta-rite hit and miss gas engine. the flywheels are about 24 or 25 inches in diameter. the kids in the picture had know idea what the engine really was .......... but they sure like the noise it made when it fired.

next is a little roller that my good friend david made years ago for his daughter, and she by the way is a very good driver of the roller and steam trains as well.

the museums newly rebuilt waterloo traction engine, this engine was rebuilt entirely by the volunteer's.

the museums fire truck

and of course you know i would have to post a picture of a MODEL hit and miss engine  :clap:
it was build by another friend of mine who is building a v8 version of jerry howell's v4.

well that's all for that show, it is a small museum located just north/east of toronto, ontario.
they have a large vertical boiler about 12 or 13 feet tall, it is used to supply steam to several full size
stationary engines. they also have a saw mill and shingle mill in operation.

i hope you enjoyed this little post of pictures.

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: small steam and model show
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 02:05:15 AM »
Hi Chuck

Thanks for showing some great engine pictures  :thumbup:.

Its interesting to see the different engineering on the US built traction engines, one thing thats stands out is the round wheel spokes on the US build, in the uk the wheels have flat plate spokes.

Here's a pic of a model Burrell compound engine, you can see what I mean.

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 02:29:52 AM »
Chuck

Very nice pictures. Glad that you shared them with us. It's not hard to see that a lot of TLC has been applied to these lovely pieces of machinery. :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 02:50:08 AM »

Chuck, if I am not mistaken that is a Massey Harris Pacemaker tractor in your picture,  a spanking little tractor, kerosene with petrol start, water spray injection, superheated inlet manifold, a real footplate to stand on and a hand clutch.  I have ploughed a few acres with one still remember the instructions printed on the fuel tank  "Put tractor to work, advance magneto until engine pings, increase water until pings stop, advance magneto until engine pings slightly"  on the other side they had printed "Good oil is cheaper than repairs!"  How true.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 10:06:58 AM »
Chuck,

Very nice picturres. Thanks for sharing them with us.

I've talked to Bill when he was here in the states at one of the shows. All I can say is I envey you the visit to his shop. I love his home made tools, exspeacialy the small turret lathe he built. A most excellent modeler.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 08:32:03 PM »
stew there is allot of little differences in the north american and english engine's. the one thing big difference is the english engines are far more polished and allot more fine details were as the north american engines are all just plain jane, dull and drab.

john that indeed is a massey pacemaker tractor, the museum is in the midst of restoring that tractor as we speak so i might have some better pictures of it in the new year.

bernd: bill is one heck of a nice guy to talk to, he will share all his knowledge and he holds nothing back. his shop is very neat and tidy. he made two scale model hardinge lathes, one is a tool room lathe and the other is a turret lathe.

here's a picture of bill with his turret lathe

and his tool room lathe

these little lathes are exact copies of the full size and they function just like the full size lathes.

if you go to  http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Huxhold.htm  you can see more of bill's amazing work.

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 09:22:15 PM »
Chuck,

Thanks for those pictures. I saw him with the turret lathe at the show. He was making minuature goblets from brass. I believe he uses no castings in making those lathes also.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds