Home Base > Announcements & Issues

This Thread IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!

(1/5) > >>

dsquire:
To all MadModder's

Today while looking around the board in the "MadModder > Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery > " I found the following thread "Myford slotting atachment". Here is the link to that thread.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2087.0

This post has been read 584 times so it was popular. All that is left of the first and main post is

--------------------------------------------

hwyjn bthqjmwmnjy

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:42:35 pm by _________ »  

-------------------------------------------- :doh:

This party was having problems with photos not showing over on HMEM. I had been in contact with him by PM and apparently it was a bandwidth exceeded issue. Rather than try to fix the problem he chose to have some threads deleted and in others he went thru and deleted the links to photos. In essence a lot of garbage was created. A lot of the posts that are left are meaningless without the pictures. All the excellent posts on this forum that are illustrated by photos are going to go this route eventually as people quit, pass on, lose interest, can't afford to pay for a photo bucket Pro account, etc.

Remember what we tell every newbie,  :worthless:

I think that it is time we all collectively get some dialogue going and come up with a solution so that the situation isn't allowed to get any worse than what it already is.

:mmr: Let's keep it that way!

Cheers  :beer:

Don

edit: spelling

GrahamC:
I am a little confused Don and I am not sure what the cause of this problem is.

One of my peeves with "The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS" is that you need to have an external (to the BBS) web site to store the photos that you want to post on the forum.

This forum is different in that you can either use an external web site to store the pictures or you can upload the picture to the BBS, the later being my preference as I don't to have "yet another" web site to upload to and maintain.

In the case of the thread you have refered to, was his pictures stored on another site? If so, the long term lose you refer to is very real and can and will happen at any moment. If he in fact had uploaded his pictures to this web site it begs the question as to why they have disappeared (server failure and loss of data? or did the pictures disappear from the BBS when he removed his profile?)

I had always assumed (dangerous - yes) that on web sites where I post pictures to, that those pictures would always remain in those posts (server hardware and storage problems notwithstanding) forever and a day regardless of whether I maintained a profile on that site or not.

Perhaps the admins can explain some of the inner workings of this forum and their policies regarding such matters.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

Bernd:
I'm not familar with the inner workings of this site but do know that uploading pictures to it uses space on the forums site. I don't like websites like PhotoBucket and such because of the advertisement they try to jam down your throat.

Way before I got interested in forums such as this and HMEM I had started my own website. I store all my pictures there that I link to the forum. I have also always wondered what would happen if I decided not to maintain my website anymore. I do have a duplicate set of all the pics on my computer. Probably should store them on a DVD.

The best would be to upload the pics to the forum so they become a part of it. But I'm sure it would use up valuable space and probably cost also. I guess only Eric could answer that question.

Don't know what the answer is right off hand but if we kick it around a bit it might generate some ideas.

Bernd

Added: Don, your right about the free use of the  :worthless: sign on newbies.

Brass_Machine:
All photo's uploaded here stay here.

The thread you are talking about... the OP had requested his account deleted. When I saw what he did to his posts prior, I deleted his account.

If that is the reason he messed up so many threads... it really is a shame. He should have talked to me 1st instead destroying a decent post because he exceeded bandwidth and wasn't show on another forum. I could have worked something out for him.

It's a shame.
Eric

bogstandard:
I have only ever had trouble with photobucket once, and that seemed to be all my own fault. I accidently deleted all my pics and didn't have backup. Caused a bit of interruption of service over on HMEM. It can't happen again though.
Every picture I now have is not only on photobucket, but in two seperate files on different drives on my computer. They are at about 2.5 gigs each at the moment, so takes up hardly any room. But I do skin the pics down and only take at 1M pixels, but they are plenty good enough for website viewing. They are normally between 50KB and 150KB each. I have around 2,200 pics on photobucket, and have still only used 25% of my free allowance.

I only use the Madmodder website for direct upload for small pics, usually one off C-o-C's, otherwise if I uploaded all the pics I use, and everyone else did, the website would soon start to get loaded down and bandwidth exceeded.

I don't know what trouble you have had Bernd, but I have never had any ads from PB at all, just upload the pics, grab the links, and then use them in my posts.
I think you must have told them at some time that you wanted to receive all their junk. :lol:

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version