Author Topic: Knurling speed  (Read 2939 times)

Offline tinkerer

Knurling speed
« on: December 02, 2009, 06:22:52 PM »
I did a search and found a lot about making and modding knurling tools, but I can't find out anything about speed and technique. I am hoping I will be needing to do this in a few days, so any info will be appreciated.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
Re: Knurling speed
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 06:56:36 PM »
Classical knurling is a metal displacement operation - that's why you can increase the diameter of a shaft by knurling.

Since you're displacing rather than cutting metal, there should be no chips.  Nevertheless, I've found that, especially with certain brasses, small bits of metal can be broken off during the knurling.  If not washed away with a steady supply of cutting oil (or other liquid) they can mar the finished job.

Flush the knurls and work generously while doing the work.  A pump oiler is good for this - small brushes tend to get sucked into the knurls - not a pretty sight.

Also, don't wear a tie or hooded sweatshirt with dangling drawstrings while knurling lest you get wrapped up in your work. :)

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Knurling speed
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 07:25:53 PM »
True up your work (take a skim to make it central and clean)

Apply knurls, turn slowly at first, run knurls up and down the work but never off the end, stop spindle to check pattern, tighten knurls and try again, repeat till nice knurls are formed .....

Once you have started you can speed the machine up. eg tonight I knurled. Started at around 100rpm and once going upped it to 800rpm or so.

Use no lube, you want any flakes to fall off, not make a mashing paste  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 07:33:52 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)