Author Topic: Ballraces, Stew and John Bogster ...  (Read 5448 times)

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Ballraces, Stew and John Bogster ...
« on: December 01, 2009, 11:17:14 AM »
Hi Folks

Re; Donated Ballraces ..

Remember I said they were known to go pop after after a year or so in service. About 43 Billion revs ???

Bulls***t   :hammer:

Pump pulley was 2", rpm was 4500, so ... on a 1" OD belt tensioner idler we get ..

4500 x 2 x 60 x 24 x 365 ... or 4730400000 revs / year .. or 4.7304 Giga revs. / year ( that's right innit ??? )

4 & 3 right, anyway ... poor old bugger ..  ::)

So, beware, they ain't too durable ... no warranty  :D  :D

Nice cakes BTW  :thumbup:

Dave BC
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:18:50 AM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Ballraces, Stew and John Bogster ...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:40:15 AM »
For what use I'll put those ball races they'll last about that long in years.

It was a pleasure meeting and chatting to you again Dave

I don't know what my wife will say when I tell her we've got a leek  :D :D

"Phone the plumber".   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 01:13:25 PM »
Unfortunately, I was sleeping while they were talking about all sorts of things I didn't understand.

But thanks again for the most appreciated goodies, leek & tater soup will soon be on the menu, and I am sure those cutters will be of great use.

What hasn't been mentioned, is that now it seems to be becoming a bit of a habit, Stew and myself broke down right next to the scrapyard we found on a previous visit, and the car wouldn't start again until we had paid our respects to the lone chappie working in there. Stew came away with some freebie storage lin bins and for 12 squid, we got to share a 6 foot length of 2" solid square steel bar and the same sort of length of 2.5" X 3/8" flat plate.

Unfortunately Stew didn't see all the 13ft lengths of all shapes and sizes of steel bar which I saw, so it means we will have to make another journey sometime to check it out.

John

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 07:30:17 PM »
John, Stew

Very welcome to the goodies. Leeks cost nowtish .. big slab cutter  thing would stop my miller dead in it's tracks .. it's 00:30 now, what are you doing still up ?? shown as online ?? I'm off to snooze.. seems a long time since 06:15    might as well go back to work  :scratch:

Dave BC 

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 07:40:01 PM »
Dave,

Just woken up. The visit to you yesterday took it out of me, and my afternoong power nap turned into being max zzzzzzzz's.

John

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:14:30 AM »
Dave,

Just to show that leeks don't always come in pipes, I cooked this up a few minutes ago. Leek & Tattie soup. Still needs to be blitzed and some cream adding.

You really do need to get smellyvision.

Bon appetit

Bogs

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 10:12:45 AM »
Gor Blimey John ..

Sure you've got enough ??
If I'd known you were going into Industrial Scale Production, you could have had this one I oiked out yesterday.

Yours looks very good though. I used to buy some from a local shop, 'Farmhouse Kitchen', or some similar supposedly evocative label. Rather nice, then the dreaded 'New Improved Recipe' sticker appeared .. 'Kiss of Death' for anything once vaguely edible IMHO ...
Scoffed mine on baked potatos with melted cheese on top. Being an ancient batchelor, that's about it for culinary skills here !!
Which begs the question, since you seem to have a unique blend of culinary and mechanical talents ..
Why is it that block cheese can be broken into bits, bit when melted goes for bl***dy kilometers when melted ??
I ask this as I find it fairly easy to wash the knife/fork, but not so my tinsnips  :D

Yes, Bon Apetit John .. I'm off. Got to take 'Big Roger' etc. to the womenfolk.

I shall not hang around to see what happens to him, my constitution ain't as robust as it once was  ..  :lol:

Dave BC  

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 01:31:03 PM »
Dave,

Mal loves it, so after she has had her fill, the rest freezes perfectly, and will keep her occupied for months to come.

Leek & Tattie iced lollies anyone?

That sure is a biggun you got there Dave. Don't go walking past any W.I. meetings with that in your pocket, you would have them swooning all over you.

John

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 03:09:58 PM »
Some more in a few weeks ... Big Rog. has been passed to the womenfolk, no WI for him.

'Oh good!' says one. 'I prefer leeks to onions for Stuffing'.

Had some lurid  thoughts, but said nowt.

My ears are allergic to Corporal Punishment ..

Dave BC.

P.S. First post on posh new PC. Windoze 7 ... just got a grip of Vista. now this. Brain still on W95. Never really got weaned off that  :D

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 05:37:45 PM »
Darren is running W7 and he is very impressed with it when compared to Vista.

I am still getting my new comp soak tested running XP64, so I might have a little go with it a bit later.

Mal was very impressed by your leeks, and now has a stomach down to her knees, scoffed it like it was going out of fashion, and so did the grandson, and he hates onions.

I don't get to sample it for an hour or two yet, my days are back to front.

Thanks again for the great meal.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 07:39:34 PM »
Yep W7 gets the  :thumbup: from me

Vista belongs in the bin ....  :hammer: Should never have been allowed out, bit like me  :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 01:57:00 AM »
John, Darren ..

Never had any grief from Vista on my laptop. The only thing I could do without was the time it took to load. But then the laptop is a 1.6GHz dual core Pentium with only 1GB of Ram, not really enough I think.

This doins is a 2.6 GHz  'Core 2 Quad Processor (??)' with 4GB RAM.
( No idea what that 'processor' stuff is. Can't see inside to count the spark plugs  :scratch: )

Does seem to kick off in about 30 secs. as opposed to 2 1/2 to 3 mins -ish. ( time for a fag tho' )

I'm not too sure about this widescreen monitor. Not very keen on it, suppose I'll get used to it eventually.
Was concerned about a curious clicking noise appeared to be coming from it. Turned out to be my eyeballs hitting their limit stops. All OK now ..

Dave BC

bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 02:24:08 AM »
Dave,

I'm having the same sort of problems. I have just installed a 24" widescreen monitor, and as you say, whereas before you could scan the whole screen without moving your head, now I have to go searching for icons on the desktop by swinging my head from side to side. It is like being at the cinema.

I am running a latest PC with dual core 64 bit Athlon on 4 gigs of memory (thinking of going to 8 gigs), but when I checked for compatibility with W7, it told me that the super fast onboard graphics chip I was using was not really good enough to use W7 to its max capabilities, and recommended fitting a third party graphics card to allow me to access W7's higher end graphics capabilities (it is automatically switched off if your machine can't handle it). So this is an operating system that wouldn't really suit a machine over maybe a year old, if you wanted to use everything the operating system has to offer.

BTW, here is a recipe that is perfect for a lone person who hates cooking, dead easy and done in no time. You could even throw a bit of your mile long cheese in, grated of course (use a rough wheel on your offhand grinder). A chopped up rasher of bacon in the initial mix turns it into a meat eaters delight.

http://www.leekpotatosoup.com/recipes/leek-potato-soup.htm

Boil it up, eat some, let the rest cool down and freeze and bag it up for those times when you don't feel like cooking. Only put cream (not necessary if you don't want it) into individual bowl, not into main pan.
We prefer to only half blitz our soups (big drill bit in hand electric drill), so leaving small chunky bits. I have found it is better to reheat in a pan if you leave chunky bits in it. Nuke and ding tends to make the potato bits go a bit hard.

:thumbup:

John

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 09:59:57 AM »
John

Thanks for recipe, looks just about simple enough for me. No guaratees tho'. ::)

24" monitor? mine is 19". It's my specs. They were for reading at some 10"-12". Screen is too close at that focus. Need to get some more I think.
Had 'em for 8 yrs. Get my peepers tested every 2, but they are the same lens prescription, so, no point getting new. Til Now ..

Dave BC