Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Present for Dad - suggestions?

(1/6) > >>

raynerd:
I hope this doesn`t sound too cheesy but I fancy making my Dad something for Christmas. I`m asking early so I have three weeks to make it. I`m not too sure what I could do for him, he real interest is cooking and his job is sales in Engineering so he does do technical drawings and such. Maybe this is a no-go as I can`t think of anything myself. Although he likes my little engine I don`t think he would get the appreciation from one that some would.

Any suggestions? 
Chris

mklotz:
Hmmm, cooking and machine shop.  How about:

nut cracker (many exotic designs out there)
dead-blow meat tenderizer
egg slicer (the type with wires that slice a whole egg in one pass)
cheese slicer

Look through a good catalogue of kitchen gadgetry.  Many ideas should pop out.

chuck foster:
egg cups made out of polished stainless steel.

chuck  :wave:

GrahamC:
I have always fancied making a knife sharpener like the one here:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=60002&cat=2,40733,40738

Uses 2 square carbide inserts. This is a newer version of this knife sharpener that Lee Valley has sold, the previous version use common 85 degree rhomboid inserts. I suppose you could make it to use almost any shape carbide insert if you wanted. In any case a neat idea.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

raynerd:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Graham C - thanks for the idea but I know for a fact my dad spent a fotune a few years back on some knife sharperner but to be fair I couldn`t design that!

I like the idea of the nut cracker:

Perhaps instead on the above I could just hand him a piece of scrap steel bar! I`m thinking maybe a screw type nutcracker as that would involve some threading and nice machining of the frame.... humm thanks. Please keep them coming.

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version