Author Topic: smoke alarms!  (Read 2207 times)

Offline jim

smoke alarms!
« on: November 29, 2009, 07:37:49 AM »
i've had a couple of smoke alarms in the workshop for a few years (i once set fire to my garage, i was so lucky to catch it early and put it out!).

we were clearing out the garage loft yesterday. i had my usual roll up, the youngest said i shouldn't be smoking in the garage in case i set off the smoke alarm. it never occured to me to have one in the garage!!! we've got about £20,000 worth of motorcycles in there (my XJR outfit and the Ural outfit and Mrs Jim's Ducati 748).

all sorted now, i've put extra alarms in the bedrooms, utility and in the garage. maybe over kill, but peace of mind is priceless!!!

i hope they prove to be a waste of money and never have to used!
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

bogstandard

Re: smoke alarms!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 08:23:45 AM »
Jim,

If you already have a decent alarm system in your house, it is usually very easy to connect up fire, smoke and carbon monoxide sensors to it.

No need to worry about changing batteries, or not being woken by the faint shrill of something coming from the garage. They give 24 hour protection, whether the alarm is armed or not, and if a problem does occur, the whole system goes into loud screaming mode.

They are a lot more expensive than the battery ones (about 4 to 5 times the cost), but to my mind, well worth it.

John

Offline kvom

Re: smoke alarms!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 08:34:48 AM »
I have two smoke alarms in my shop, and two in the apartment above it.  These are the type wired to the AC supply with battery backup.  Actually the wired versions were not much more expensiven than the unwired versions, although I did have to run circuits for them during the construction.