Author Topic: Smart & Brown 1024 Crosslide Fix  (Read 11108 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Smart & Brown 1024 Crosslide Fix
« on: November 28, 2009, 08:42:56 AM »
I have mentioned elsewhere that I had a crosslide backlash problem. With the help of a guy called Richard from another board I have stripped the unit down and found the problem.

Once the leadscrew dis-engage screw in the centre of the handwheel is undone the assembly can be unbolted from the machine.
Once there the problem is evident. The adjusting nuts are not done up properly and there is a big clearance.

But they are at the end of their thread on the shaft and cannot be adjusted any further.

Off with the next section and we can see why. The thrust bearing on this side has not only collapsed but the two washers are missing.

I will make a bronze spacer to replace the damaged bearing for the time being,

I pulled the indicator dial off and something shot across the garage, not found it yet but it would be helpful if I knew what I was looking for  :doh:
I think it's a spring ... It'll turn up one day ... maybe ... :bang:
It's not vital, the dial is a tight fit anyway. Once I have found or worked out what is needed I will come back and fix this.

The hand wheel has been smashed to pieces at some time and welded back together. It's seems to be a press fit onto the shaft. It might be easiest to just machine the outer part off and make a new piece. To come at a later date as it's purely a cosmetic issue.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:03:47 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Smart & Brown 1024 Crosslide Fix
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 09:41:54 AM »
After measuring the bearings they turn out to be

inside 0.75"
outside 1.31"
thickness 0.28"

Which is a FT3/4 part no'

Found these on Ebay,
 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FT3-4-FT-3-4-IMPERIAL-THRUST-BEARING_W0QQitemZ200410481661QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item2ea96543fd

So I'll just order a pair and be done with it ...

Nice to see it was an easy fix  :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 10:28:56 AM »
You'll get that machine running like a roller Darren, I think Arc sell handles for macine worth checking them out.

A real weel built lathe.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 01:07:14 PM »
Marv gave me a good tip a long while ago.

When taking something apart such as this, do it inside a large see thru plastic bag. That way if things do fly off, they can't go far, unless you are really unlucky.

Nogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:12:48 PM »
Ya know Noggy that came to my mind just after the ping .....  :doh:

It's a small spring and a small brass slug, about 3mm in dia ......

I do hope the name change isn't gender related ... ?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 01:18:48 PM »
Darren,

I have been out cold for most of today, had a long day yesterday and last night.

Surely you don't begrudge me a small mistake every now and again.

oBgs.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 01:19:23 PM »
I'm flattered that you remembered that, Bogs. :)

Here in the colonies, clothing sent to the dry cleaners is returned with a clear plastic bag-like cover.  It's ideal for this application.

When I have to work on stuff with tiny parts, I cover the workbench with an old, white doubled-over baby blanket and work on that.  The soft blanket is very 'lossy' - anything dropped on it loses all its energy and can't bounce from the location where it strikes.  The white color makes it easy to see the part, too.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline SammieQ

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 01:20:34 PM »
Look at yer keyboard...see B and N so close together? Bogs needs to go to Specsavers..... :lol:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 03:11:03 PM by SammieQ »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 05:38:40 PM »
I found the spring .....  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

The other bit was a short 3mm brass slug ...... I think I can manage that  :dremel:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 07:02:57 AM »
You'll get that machine running like a roller Darren, I think Arc sell handles for macine worth checking them out.

A real weel built lathe.

Stew

Stew, you arn't wong,
When turning a handwheel I'm used to feeling a resistance, that way I can get a feel for what is going on.

In this machine there is no resistance, I turn the handwheel and it feels like it's spinning freely with no slide movement.

It really is going to take some getting used to ..... cos I keep looking at the slide to look for movement and by then it's moved miles  :doh:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 08:32:24 AM »
Darren,

That's a nice problem to have! I couldn't believe that when I got my harrison either. and as soon as you start moving the handwheel, the slide starts moving - no, or very little backlash, smooth all the way down its travel etc.

Are you going to do a full restoration / clean up then? What a good find.

Nick

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 08:41:24 AM »
Nick,

Despite it's paint work and this little bearing issue I can't find anything wrong with it so far.
Even the bed shows no sign of scores or wear marks but then I believe it's some sort of high-grade nickel iron hardened. So would take some wearing out anyway.

I think a re-paint will be on the cards at some point, but not a full strip down, just certain components. I wouldn't wish to upset anything.

Just got to figure out how to get it in the bucket  :lol:

Someone has given it a coat of paint but it's reacted with the coolant, that is mostly why it looks so rough.
I'll wait till it's warmer again though before doing anything.

For now I just want to use it, bearings came this morning, so I'll be busy later  :)

Later I think a dro will be on the cards ....

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 12:39:43 PM »
I think a re-paint will be on the cards at some point, but not a full strip down, just certain components. I wouldn't wish to upset anything.

Just got to figure out how to get it in the bucket

No problem. Ask  if Dave (Stilldrillin) has still got the bath he took out.  :)

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 01:11:38 PM »
Nice idea but still won't fit  :lol:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 06:24:54 PM »
This evening I decided to get this job finished ...  :)

The new bearings

But first a couple of little jobs ... This is the dial lock screw ... or was as it's now snapped off and well stuck. First it was milled flat and drilled out.

It didn't work out too well, this bolt was hard and presented a bit of a tough job. But out it came all the same. Trouble is the threads were not to clever by the time I'd finished.
The original threads were 1/4 26tpi. That's the same pitch as 6mm metric but around 0.25mm bigger in dia.

So I tapped it 7mm with the same pitch .....  :ddb:

Will need to make a thumbscrew to match ...

If you can imagine the now 7mm screw pushing the straight part, this in turn pushes the button which is pressed against the inside of the dial indicator. The two 45 deg angles allow a 90 deg direction change.

Hopefully this image will help to get a grasp of the workings.

The other job was to re-make the spring loaded brass plunger that provides a constant friction against the dial gauge.

The original didn't have a boss for the spring but I thought it might help with assembly

And here we are all back together

It was re-fitted back on the crosslide and all seems to be working fine now, the horrendous backlash has now gone ....  :)

The handwheel is in a bad way, but it's functional for now until I can source some material to re-make it.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:05:18 PM by Darren »

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 03:39:32 AM »
Darren,

Bet it's good with the new bearings. I never know how people break hand wheels. Must be when moving the machine, that's the only way I can think of!

nick

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 03:49:14 AM »
Another nicely done sort - out Darren!  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 05:32:09 PM »
A couple of little things just to get a feel for the lathe tonight.

First the 7mm dial locking screw, bit of a cheat cos I used an existing bolt that already had a knurled head.
Well it was there waiting to be used !!

Tuned the thread down to 7x1mm

Now I can set and lock the dial properly  :)

The second job doesn't really belong here, but hardly worth it's own place .... My toolholders were missing their height locking thumbnuts so I turned them from a 20mm steel bar. One bolt was also missing so I straight knurled a 5mm allen bolt head.

Good enough to get me up and running ....  :)